Comprehensive list of notifications

I’ve been working on a suggestion for better UX on the notifications, but before I’m done with anything, I think it’s important to have a comprehensive view of the current state of notifications: which types there are, for which things, their default behaviour and if/how they can be changed by the user.

For this task I need help from developers and users (@tiltec feel free to use your admin-powers here on the forum to edit this post, correct and add stuff). Much of the default behaviour I have guessed, so please correct them and add what I forgot…

So let’s get started…

Types of notification
Categorized according to where you get or see the notification

1. :email: E-mail notifications
  2. :bell: Bell notifications
  3. :left_speech_bubble: Chat notifications
  4. Push notifications (browser and mobile)

List of all notifications

The list goes as follows:
the thing that you get notification for (where you get it) – default behaviour and if/how it can be turned on/off

• Group wall messages (:email: , :left_speech_bubble: , push) – on by default, e-mail and push can be muted on the bell sign on the wall and on the e-mail itself

• Replies on groups wall messages (:email:, :left_speech_bubble:, push) – on by default, can be turned off on the bell sign at each message thread

• Private messages (:email:, :left_speech_bubble:, push) - on by default, can be turned off on the bell sign at each message

• Pickup chat (:email:, :left_speech_bubble:, push) - on by default, can be turned off on the bell sign at each message

• Available Pickups (:email:) - on by default, can be turned off at the settings page for e-mail notifications

• New applications (:email:, :bell:) - on by default, can be turned off at the settings page for e-mail notification

• Application chat (:email:, :left_speech_bubble:, push) - on by default, can be turned off

• You application has been accepted (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Someone joined your group (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Someone accepted your invitation to join the group (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Your upcoming pickups (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Pickups you joined have been edited (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Give feedback (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Someone gained editing rights (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Store has been created (:bell:) - on by default, cannot be turned off

• Weekly summary (:email:) - on by default, can be turned off at the settings page for e-mail notifications

4 Likes

Great! I’ll look into it tomorrow, but it looks fairly comprehensive already!

1 Like

Just some additions:

• all messages are being sent via app & browser push notifications
  • the bell sign on each conversation toggles the “muted” state (toggles :email: and push)
  • none of the :bell: notifications can be turned off currently
  • the full list of :bell: notifications is here: karrot-backend/models.py at master · yunity/karrot-backend · GitHub (includes those for the yet-to-be-released conflict resolution chat)

I’ll make changes to your message!

2 Likes