Legal agreements

This questions was first raised on facebook, so this post contains the whole thread for everybody to be able to read it.

Janina Abels
Stefan Simon raised the question of legal agreements again and I would like to relay it to you:

1. Do you have a legal agreement that every foodsaver signs? (Like the one linked below for reference.)
  2. If so, how do you manage this? In paper, online or any other way?
  3. If not, don’t you have problems getting stores to cooperate?

Kristijan Miklobusec
about foodsharing.de:

1. there is one on the website that people aknowledge when they want create a user account
  2. so no paper trail needed. The user gets a „foodsaver id card“
  3. some stores don‘t care and are happy that they don‘t have to throw away food.

Taras Kucherenko
About Olio:

1. Yes
  2. Online

It was not automatic when I started, I did it much later (I guess because they needed to grow first). But now I think they are trying to automate everything

Bruno Chies
About Solikyl:
No signing on our part, food savers only get a guideline of behavior that they need to accept but it’s not a legal agreement and doesn’t have anything to do with liability and the stores. Our cooperations with stores are trust-based, but probably sometime in the future we’d have to sign some contract between the association and the store, and then maybe this kind of agreement for foodsavers would be necessary.
For now our process is as follows: People sign up to be a food saver at our website by filing out a form and then we get an e-mail. We reply the e-mail with a basic welcome, asking them to read the guidelines and send an invitation to Karrot. Nobody signs anything and they can even ignore the guidelines if they want, but we haven’t had any trouble so far. I mean, as long as you don’t have your name on a contract and your ass is not on the line responsible for what other people are doing or not, you’re not taking any personal risks and you can easily manage things based on trust.

Karolina Hansen
In Poland 1) no, but we’re thinking of a set of rules or something like this 2) no - see above 3) no, even with something like this those who don’t want to cooperate wouldn’t as Polish law is very resctictive and people are mostly afraid of tax problems.