Moving forum and chat to karrot.world subdomains?

Conceptually, we have the “foodsaving worldwide” project, and inside that is the karrot project.

But over time the karrot project has become the main focus, and the “foodsaving worldwide” is kind of part of karrot… they kind of reversed their relationship!

This is especially notable with the generalization of karrot for other types of groups, it would no longer make much sense to visit community.karrot.world for them.

So, here I make a proposal:

To centre Karrot as the main project, rather than foodsaving worldwide

Practically speaking this would mean:

• move community.karrot.worldcommunity.karrot.world (and change the logo to the karrot one)
  • move chat.foodsaving.worldchat.karrot.world (this already uses the karrot logo)
  • rejig the categories in the forum so what are now subcategories of the Karrot category become top-level categories, and maybe some new categories are created
  • nothing would change for foodsaving.world or foodsaving.today

So, let’s vote!

Do you agree with the proposal above?

• yes, sounds good, let’s change it!
  • no, I think it’s nice how it is now
  • neither, I would like to keep discussing and maybe explore more options

0 voters

Note: voting is public (i.e. not anonymous)

(We don’t have a formal mechanism to decide who is eligible to vote, or whether a vote is binding, but until we do, just consider that if you can see this poll, and you can vote, then please do!)

1 Like

I just moved the chat over to https://chat.karrot.world now, and seems ok… next step would be the forum, it’s perhaps a bit more disruptive as more people use the forum (I think?), and everybody will be logged out, and any password managers won’t recognise it, but I think that’s just the way it goes…

It’s also a bit more involved → Change the domain name or rename my Discourse? - admins - Discourse Meta … but intending to do it soon!

Ah, I was confused why the app didn’t show any new messages!

By the way, Github OAuth seems broken on chat.karrot.world. Maybe you need to adjust the redirect address?

1 Like

Hmm, redirect address looks fine (generated I think), I get No matching login attempt found error. Maybe I’ll just do random restart of rocketchat.

Edit: the server error shows it is related to the redirect uri: {“line”:“405”,“file”:“oauth_server.js”,“message”:“Error in OAuth Server: redirect_uri_mismatch”,“time”:{"$date":1623877939854},“level”:“warn”}

Edit2: fixed! The details in the GitHub side of things needed updating…

1 Like