Roadmap meeting

We had our first roadmap meeting with our new structure! It’ll happen every 3 months.

Later today https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/blob/master/ROADMAP.md will be updated to contain a high level summary and also links to related GitHub issues.

date: 2020-05-24 11:45 UTC+2 / CEST
faciliator: nick
participants: nick, bruno, tilmann, janina, taïs, felix (silent)

sections

review of previous period

as we haven’t done these before, it might be a bit vague, as we don’t have anything specific to reflect on.

but, we can do a little general structure retrospective structure:

• what went well?
    • most previous roadmap points were fulfilled!
    • calls kept regular, success!
    • nice team feeling regenerated (sandro, active nick)
    • getting the new landing page done in a collaborative way
    • moving to new cool tools (rocket chat)
    • karrot.world still alive and happy
  • what went not so well?
    • dumpster.at didn’t happen, all felt vague and loose
    • progressively lost focus on the calls (Janina)
    • low forum activity
    • relatively low development activity compared to the last years
    • DLC did not adopt karrot after test phase
  • open questions on your mind?
    • “save things from being wasted, share them instead” → does that fit to diversification goals for groups?
    • how do we get more groups to join?
    • how to find the right balance and work flow again? (janina)
    • how to get quality feedback from the groups? join their groups or somehow encourage them to join our channels?

personal roadmaps

• what is the general shape/rhythm of your life in the next 3 months? (June-August)
    • Bruno: I might have more time if we’re able to organise well at home, since Madde will stop working
    • Tilmann: roof work, Mika care, visits to other places; happy to spend some time on the computer
    • Janina: Mika, roof, foodsharing, Karrot; hard to get started with short periods of focus time
    • Tais: Thesis, thesis, thesis! Participation in Karrot will go down as the final deadline approaches.
    • Nick: Maybe moving house soon, maybe coming to Kanthaus for a while? Other than that all seems well.
  • what is your karrot/fsww focus likely to be in those 3 months?
    0 - none at all, count me out for this one, maybe next time!
    1 - I can’t really dedicate much time, I might swing by the chat/forum here and there (Taïs: 1.7)
    2 - I have many other projects to work on, but I want to keep active somehow (Janina)
    3 - I can likely make some contributions (Tilmann)
    4 - it is one of only a few main projects for me (Bruno, Nick)
    5 - it is my main project right now
  • what are your interests/priorities in that time? some thought hints:
    • any more specific focus areas? (e.g. improving offers, refactoring vuex stores, getting feedback from groups)
      • Tilmann: I want to mostly work on smallish things that I can maybe read up in one evening and then finish it quickly - so that I can drop in and out on a weekly basis. I’d like to improve existing features. I don’t have anything concrete in my mind but I know there are some issues I can get started on. I’m also always keen on resolving bugs I find. With upgrading dependencies it is an ongoing work anyways. There’s also this old pull request about filtering the history that I have already spent some time on; I hope that I can finish this in the next weeks. I also want to focus more on the app, because it’s not so slick and useful as it is right now. Would be cool to improve it and then also advertise it more.
    • balance of dreaming / conceptualizing / doing?
      • Tilmann: mostly doing, a bit of conceptualisation
    • are you looking for stuff to do or focused on getting stuff done?
      • Janina: getting stuff done!
    • which bigger visions of karrot are most motivating to you at the moment?
      • Bruno: continue learning and working on simple tasks on the frontend that are feasible for me. I’m motivated to work more generally on one or both of the 2 topics/features that I wrote about on the chat: governance and public places. I see both as part of a bigger vision in making Karrot especially useful for the internal work of groups to self-organize in an open and democratic way and the external part of connecting them to facilitate movement-building. Inwards and outwards. Improving offers is also something that sooner or later I’d like to do. I’m flexible to focus on whatever depending on other people’s motivation and time, which is the whole point of this call for me.
      • Tilmann: Bigger vision points that still motivate me are generalization (even though it’s a bit too big for me to do it part-time) and the point that using Karrot should be enjoyable for people.
      • Janina: refactoring my processes, especially to spread the concept of saving food via cooperations, how to build a network; start/revive foodsharing.de working groups related to foodsaving worldwide, especially the English translation department; make foodsharing users aware that foodsaving worldwide exists and that they can contribute to it if they are travelling (better communication for task delegation); make a better structure for myself
      • Nick: I started a bit with this vision of customization again so that users can make Karrot their own. It’s more dreaming than anything right now, but it motivates me. There’s little bits of doing in there as well. User input on design processes is another thing that motivates me a lot these days. I want to come up with a much clearer idea on how we develop features and get an online process going. I see a structure emerging that could work. I also want to help others, in particular Valentin, Bruno and Tais. The general purpose governance has probably quite some thinking to do; add more sanctions to conflict resolution processes is more doing. Generalization consists of a lot of sub topics and I’d like to get a better overview on the whole thing. There’s work to do on both the conceptual and the doing level.
      • Tais: I want to focus on the screencast tutorials cause I won’t have much more time anyways.
  • what might you be able to offer others to help them?
    • Bruno: Collect feedback, improve usability, conceptualizing and communication in general. More especifically: work with Taïs on tutorial videos, work with Nick on (re-)thinking the generalization/customization topic. Help Janina with the Swedish networking. Feedback for Tilmann, testing…
    • Tilmann: I can help implementing some stuff if it’s clearly specified. I can give advice and explain e.g. Karrot architecture to Bruno and maybe even Nick. I can try to help Janina structure her work time.
    • Janina: give feedback on texts about conceptualisations and dreaming visions; also participate in the vision/dreaming!
    • Nick: share meta-organisation experience with Janina to try to help with work/life structure issues; help Bruno with code learning; participate in broad vision discussions; clarify issues to help Tilmann jump straight into implementation
    • Tais: I can help motivate Tilmann! :smiley: Participation in some discussions will be something I can do. Please don’t feel that you can’t ask me anything because I’ll be busy! (except big vision stuff)
  • what might you like from others to help you achieve this?
    • Bruno: Discussing the ideas and writing the code (learning process, technical expertise) I guess.
    • Tilmann: It’s definitely helpful for me to see any kind of activity on Karrot, it boosts my motivation. I’d like to see someone push the topic of documentation (be it for users or devs) cause then I’d probably join in as well.
    • Janina: help to find tasks to delegate to foodsharers.de
    • Nick: get feedback on blurbs (about big topics like generalisation);
    • Tais: would be cool if the momentum around the screencasts could be kept up.
  • do you want to participate in the karrot money circle for this period?
    • Bruno: maybe, mostly out of curiosity if I do. I do not intend to take any payment.
    • Tilmann: yes, I think I would.
    • Janina: yes, mainly because it still feels weird…^^
    • Nick: yes, I’m running out of money (laughs)
    • Tais: I don’t think I would, unless I don’t have anything to do when the call is on.
      outcome: nicely formatted text everybodies personal roadmaps to go on the forum thread

consensus / summary of what we’re doing

See how our different ideas/visions fit together, and try and get some consensus/focus areas we work on together.

• screencast (user documentation introduction) (Tais, Bruno)
  • conceptualisation of generalisation & customisation: big conceptual talks & practical steps (Nick, Bruno)
  • group governance:
    • thinking about more conflict resolution sanctions and implementing them (Bruno, Nick)
    • conceptualize issues as means for general decision making (Bruno, Nick)
  • participatory feature design: come up with a process (Nick)
  • code maintenance (Tilmann)
  • reconnect communications with foodsharing.de (Janina)
  • add history list filters (Tilmann)
3 Likes

karrot roadmap

intro

a reflection on the past 3 months and a look into the next 3 months!

who should attend? anybody that feels they want to participate!

meta

duration: 2h
date: 2020-08-23 17:45 UTC+2 / CEST
faciliator: Nick
participants: Nick, Bruno, Tilmann, Janina

sections

review of previous period ~15m

• what went well?

• more time as a group, and working together (with co-working sessions)
    • progressed in the right direction for the main topics (even if baby steps, still important) - community engagement/participation and generalization
    • steady work rhythm with co-working, and weekly calls
    • maintainence going well up to date with dependencies and no crazy bugs
    • more community participation in the forum
    • much steadier work flow
    • got a pull request merged unexpectedly!
    • dragging Nathalie into it a bit more :slight_smile:
    • reconnected a lot to foodsharing.de
    • regular workling structure felt quite solid
    • clarified the projects I want to work on and defined Karrot as number one
    • got a lot of personal motivation on both the smaller and bigger scale
    • we managed to progress some of the user specific issues
    • progress on the design process topic
    • generalization became a lot more concrete
  • what went not so well?

• a lot of the concrete tasks were not done
    • didn’t achieve any of the new things wanted to implement, got stuck and couldn’t get unstuck, some focus but didn’t lead anywhere, good code solutions were elusive! things getting too big and rough edges, got distracted
    • still missing contact with the more established groups on karrot, we’re kind of in a parallel world to the people in the groups
    • didn’t restructure international working groups on foodsharing.de
    • foodsharing.de report system restructure took a lot of focus
    • design process got a bit vague and not as concrete and specific as wished for
    • screencast got dropped
    • somehow things feel a bit slow

• how to get unstuck on development, personally
    • when will the foodsharing.de report system be done??!?!?!
    • how/when will the foodsharing.de international working groups restructure happen?
    • how can we (re)connect more with the groups? will the community design sprint serve this goal?
    • how to keep the momentum flowing during travels?
    • how to take everything to the next level?
  • Bruno’s notes and reflections:

• personally: did put some work into coding (group switcher at topbar), a first draft to a community design process, started the scripts for screencast and never finished it (not completely abandoned though), organized a call on Foodsharing governance inviting other Karrot groups (still to happen), had nice co-workings and discussions. A little activity on the Mastodon account and started working on more academic-related stuff…
    • as a group: generally a nice working flow, with ups and downs naturally, but felt quite steady nonetheless. In this sense, co-workings have played an important role! We did not achieve a lot of the concrete tasks we had to do, but fine. We still made important steps in the directions we wanted to take: to improve community participation in Karrot development/feature design and to move forward in the generalization/custommization topic. The work on governance features had yet to mature and will probably get going in this next cycle.

personal roadmaps ~45m

• what is the general shape/rhythm of your life in the next 3 months? (September-November)
    • Bruno: different than the last 3 months, but probably similar amount of time available to work on Karrot, less structured, more flexible, partner not working
    • Tilmann: trying to get development-time for about half the week, a bit more than before, otherwise still kanthaus roof work, but trying to get less directly involved, and of course Mika :slight_smile: … need to find out how who does what
    • Janina: Mika, Bubi2, foodsharing, Karrot. foodsharing will take most of my work time, but at some point we’ll be finished. Also some trips away.
    • Nick: Leave Göttingen and start a bike trip that will continue for the whole period. That comes with a lot of uncertainty, hopefully I’ll be able to productively code in some places but it’s not exactly clear how this will work out.
    1 - I can’t really dedicate much time, I might swing by the chat/forum here and there
    2 - I have many other projects to work on, but I want to keep active somehow
    3 - I can likely make some contributions
    4 - it is one of only a few main projects for me
    • Bruno: 4
    • Tilmann: a bit higher than last time, 4 now :slight_smile:
    • Janina: still 2 (kanthaus itself is quite a project…)
    • Nick: Would be 5 without the bike trip, but reality makes it a 4.
    • any more specific focus areas? (e.g. improving offers, refactoring vuex stores, getting feedback from groups)
      • Bruno: contribute to generalization as much as possible, codewise maybe looking at making places easier to use as discussion places, working out more governance features through design process, depending on inspiration/clarity more work on outreach, reconceptualising potential/direction of karrot
      • Tilmann: more play, try out one thing, drop it, try another… trying to get unstuck more. unfocused on which area. generalization could be interesting, but smaller things require less thinking about whole concept, maybe ldap thing (for yunohost)? or oauth? or full text search? this kind of stuff. what users ask for usually seems complicated and not easy to implement. tricky bit is thinking about a good solution.
      • Janina: conceptualizing about governance features esp. relating to foodsharing stuff they’ve been doing, dragging Nathalie more into it all :), some more tiny merge requests (felt good!)
      • Nick: Generalization and getting it to the next step. Doesn’t need to be a massive leap forward, but at least some tangible progress. Continue to work on user need features since it’s motivating. Support governance processes from the backseat. If there’s enough time self hosting is also interesting. Try to find better ways to do outreach and also continue to do it.
      • Bruno: striking the balance!
      • Tilmann: mostly keep out of dreaming and conceptualizing :slight_smile:
      • Janina: a bit of everything
      • Nick: less dreaming, more conceptualizing and doing
      • Bruno: more focused on getting stuff done
      • Tilmann: if somebody has an interesting thing to do, happy for notice about it! lost a bit of the overview… quick changes… no plan!
      • Janina: getting stuff done (NOT looking for MORE stuff to do!!!)
      • Nick: a bit of balance, will sift through the forum to see what users need but also there’s already loads of stuff to do
    • which bigger visions of karrot are most motivating to you at the moment (if any)?
      • Bruno: getting more different types of groups using karrot (via the generalization work), e.g. toy library, trying to connect to new groups of people, e.g. via mastodon, or academics
      • Tilmann: unclear, sometimes too deep into topics to see bigger visions
      • Janina: Governance structures! Possibly because of my foodsharing involvement I’m again very proud of what we’re doing or trying to do with Karrot in this regard. :slight_smile:
      • Nick: This kind of user freedom for the groups to do stuff is much more specifically motivating. The general background motivation which is still there is the bottom-up revolution of society. :slight_smile:
    • Bruno: (head/mind is melting) usual stuff… community participation, feedback, testing, conceptualizing… would like to help others feel supported too
    • Tilmann: not sure if it’s useful, but maybe should check up in private with people to see how they’re doing, social stuff and coding, guiding work with karrot or connecting with topics, always up for code introductions, probably also reviews when in positive mood, esp if Janina/Bruno want to make some changes
    • Janina: Be normally there in the calls, be approachable for feedback of any kind, help read and write stuff (ping me with specific links! and love conceptualizing/visionary things)
    • Nick: help unstuck Tilmann through talking, casual informal, support governance and community design sprint but feel a little less driving, normal code stuff as well for everybody, general interest in what people are doing, bridging the gap of personal life and project work
    • Bruno: comes quite naturally, code learning, etc., interests seems to be quite aligned, feel supported already :slight_smile:
    • Tilmann: help to get unstuck from topics that get dragged along, talking more with others, especially Nick, but also Bruno/Janina
    • Janina: reminders for the calls! being asked if things are needed (having a tricky time remembering to check rocket chat) as missing overview (mentions/direct messages work well)
    • Nick: some patience is nice, I’ll be a bit fragmented and will take some time to get stuff going, engagement on the community forum is also very much appreciated to (re)activate more community people
    • Bruno: perhaps, take it spontaneously
    • Tilmann: yes!
    • Janina: yes! starts to be a thing, feels good!
    • Nick: yes!

consensus / summary of what we’re doing ~10-15m?

See how our different ideas/visions fit together, and try and get some consensus/focus areas we work on together.

• main topics seem to be:
    • generalization
    • governance
    • connecting with community
    • connecting with others (e.g. mastodon/academia)
  • continuing stuff that already got started
  • contribution numbers felt like that they all went up! good working feeling :slight_smile: we can use the steady work flow to do things, so less dreaming! more doing

quick reflection on roadmap structure ~2-3m

• Bruno: almost completely melted now, quite enjoyed it! melting was not due to roadmap call… can be quite lengthy, later in the day makes it harder, nevertheless a good structure! Brings out reflections, looking at past/present/future, interactions within team, personal situations. Trying to focus on concrete outcomes. Can’t think of improvements right now!
  • Tilmann: is a good use of the time, everything very relevant, not much boilerplate, I think it was quite informal and relaxed, quite energised now! (nice calm environment helping), seems good!
  • Janina: also liked it (liked it last time! like structured meetings with sections), quite easy with prep. in the pre-beginning felt like “oh roadmap only just happened”, but actually the duration seemed about right, especially if want more things to happen… making it less frequent probably would lead us to do less… like the way it works… except forgot about the practical issues organising section, now tired and got distracted by nice dumpster food arriving, also had a long call before…)
  • Nick: I was happy because I put about zero thought into it but the already established structure carried the whole thing. It felt like all the sections fit and it sort of flowed. Everybody had answers that were interesting and relevant. I pat myself on the back for coming up with the structure last time. We just should have done the weekly meeting in the section mentioned on here and not before the whole roadmap.

Next

Next roadmap session will be on 2020-11-22 (13 weeks after this one).

karrot roadmap

intro

a reflection on the past 3 months and a look into the next 3 months!

who should attend? anybody that feels they want to participate!

intended outcomes:

• a new community forum thread with a post with the outcomes of the follow sections
  • a post on the regular weekly meeting thread, if there is anything to put there
  • some re-organised/triaged GitHub issues / forum threads

meta

duration: 2h
date: 2020-11-22 12:00 UTC+1 / CET
facilitator: Nick/Bruno
participants: Nick, Bruno, Tilmann, Janina, Katie

structure:

• checkin ~5m
  • review of previous period ~15m
  • personal roadmaps for next 3 months ~45m
  • consensus / summary of what we’re doing ~10m?
  • quick reflection on roadmap structure ~2-3m
  • mini section for any important weekly announcements/topics ~10m
  • (optional) practical section for organising GitHub issues / forum threads ~50m+

sections

checkin ~5m

review of previous period ~15m

Last notes are Roadmap meeting - #2 by tiltec

We can do a little general structure retrospective structure:

• what went well?
    • Tilmann: last period quite good to slowly get back into Karrot stuff, especially enjoyed Nick being so engaged, personal engagement… hmm yup. great to keep doing weekly calls, with good discussions, feels worthwhile. good to have governance process going, from the outside.
    • Bruno: was very productive! looks like we did almost all the things we wanted to do, sketched and started design process, nice that Katie jumped in, new active team member, yay :slight_smile: custom activity types progressed ENORMOUSLY, Nick has been doing a lot of work. had NordiCHI, new contacts, etc… going steadily in a nice direction.
    • Nick: the previous roadmap seemed quite accurate except the bike trip part. the topics of focus were pretty on point though: #generalization, direct user need features, supporting the governance process. just not so much outreach. I found a burst of energy. very nice having katie join! mastodon account has been doing quite well in followers (166 now), that also made me #happy.
    • Katie: really enjoying the governance process, very good timing for joining from the beginning! making some plans for addressing some UX stuff, reviewing the forum, and starting a study for it (around the signup process), connecting with bachelors students to get involved
    • Janina: most positive was so much progress with needing to do anything! great step Katie joining, nicks burst of energy nice, so much activity in areas we talked about for ages. nice to somehow be part of it! attending NordiCHI etc :slight_smile: nice that V… joined. feels more like a #communityteam, had lower activity, less regular times before, so nice to have it active. people seem to enjoy nice conversations and atmosphere. #goodteamculture.
  • what went not so well?
    • Tilmann: did way less than desired, well… guess didn’t really start as much as wanted to, wanted to play around more, but didn’t do it so much. focused more on maintenance, which is useful, but wanted to do more. still very much more into kanthaus roof topics than desired.
    • Bruno: particularly, nothing special, everything went fine! maybe would have desired more time, in general though, not just about karrot. wished I had more time :frowning: nothing to complain about.
    • Nick: in general it went very well. the outreach to the groups is something I didn’t really manage. had some personal instabilities in the middle, but karrot was a nice thing to do when the rest of life was not so good.
    • Katie: not managing to work on any of the UX tasks due to lack of time, but have a plan to help with it! disappointed with it.
    • Janina: did less than said I would, (active on level 2), hmmm. no tiny merge requests, no contributing #actualwork. stopped writing emails, should have communicated that.
    • Tilmann: none, mind is empty, will the roof ever end!
    • Bruno: how to try and advertise karrot more, more outreach, after we get some stuff ready, feels like we’re on that path, depending on how much we put in, then we have something great enough to support more outreach for more different use cases, sharing collaborative commons economy stuff, community organising stuff
    • Nick: how to not overwhelm all the communication channels in periods of high personal activity? where to put my energy so that it’s nice and enjoyable?
    • Katie: nothing really at the moment, just a blank shell :slight_smile:
    • Janina: I wonder who will answer the emails :slight_smile:

personal roadmaps ~45m

• what is the general shape/rhythm of your life in the next 3 months? (December-February)

• Tilmann: good question! I guess it’ll involve some change, less physical work, more childcare, hopefully more computer work, but maybe that’s a conflict, seems unsure. probably staying in kanthaus for that time.
    • Bruno: same as before, were supposed to be in Brazil, but still in Sweden, not much change expected
    • Nick: not as expected, but will be very stable. probably sitting in this room for most of the time. want to put a lot of energy into the people around me as well as karrot. trying to get rerooted and grounded is the general theme.
    • Katie: quite a lot going on, got good reviews on paper! yay! should be accepted. working on “camera ready” version, working on another article, and a half-way phd report, will take quite a bit of focus. quite planned and clear at least. still have availablity within that.
    • Janina: dominated by having a baby again! (aww booboo!) will not take on any other projects really, maybe “it” sleeps all the time, or not, there is also Mika still of course…
    1 - I can’t really dedicate much time, I might swing by the chat/forum here and there
    2 - I have many other projects to work on, but I want to keep active somehow
    3 - I can likely make some contributions
    4 - it is one of only a few main projects for me

• Tilmann: 4 (although can still mean quite low time allocation)
    • Bruno: 4
    • Nick: 5
    • Katie: 3
    • Janina: 1 (join calls, maybe not all the time though, don’t read much rocket chat, don’t want to promise anything)

• Tilmann: probably sticking with maintaince stuff mostly, resolving customized dependencies (contributing changes upstream), some dependencies are inactive, so maybe adapt into our project, still quite interested in things from previous period, smaller things that don’t require thinking about the whole concept, oauth could be nice (sign into forum/chat with karrot account), maybe some other stuff, Nick probably has some ideas that can help him. also still being the review person for Nick
      • Bruno: finishing the governance design process, also work on the usability issues together, would try to do some re-conceptualizing for karrot (main page, some documents)
      • Nick: one part that ties into Bruno’s bit of reconceptualizing: getting the golden values and code of conduct clearer. rewrite constitutional documents of karrot and try to make something useful. maybe also revise the license to align a bit more with the perspectives we seem to have embraced a bit more recently, like more social focus, feminist technology. in terms of development generalization is still a big topic. finishing up the custom activity types. governance process as well is really nice and this period we should get to a place where we start building something. Refactor the data layer to move away from vuex as a nice purely technical project. I want to start putting more effort into support tutoring and coaching, too.
      • Katie: continue with governance process stuff, and supervision of bachelors students to start on UX stuff, can work with that moving forward depending on what comes out of it
      • Janina: main interest is in the governance, especially with connection with foodsharing.de
      • Tilmann: mostly stick to doing
      • Bruno: like to have a good balance between practical and theoretical, might venture into more dreaming and conceptualizing more this time
      • Nick: quite a balance of the three seems nice, I have capacity to do them all.
      • Katie: trying to be more realistic about dreams :slight_smile: loads of things to do, but have to be practical. hopefully can put more time consuming work for students. governance project really engaging.
      • Janina: more dreaming! nice to float around and think about how things could be
      • Tilmann: yes, as I said… prompts for smallish things, definately taking work, maybe not always finishing, play around then abandon
      • Bruno: getting stuff done, have a good list! but also go with the flow depending on what others are engaged in
      • Nick: getting stuff done, really. and find spaces where I can put in my support in mentoring.
      • Katie: focusing on those two tasks for the moment
      • Janina: definately NOT looking for stuff to do, maybe will find time to do tiny merge requests
    • which bigger visions of karrot are most motivating to you at the moment (if any)?
      • Tilmann: not really karrot’s vision, but still want to improve usability stuff and performance, especially mobile app as it’s not so nice for messaging, user empowerment vision!
      • Bruno: getting Karrot to be first very useful for different types of groups beyond foodsaving and trying to reach to those groups, more propaganda of karrot somehow!
      • Nick: this really big vision of trying to remake society. I want to do it on a more practical level as well. The social layer is becoming a much bigger topic as well for me.
      • Katie: working on the UX, could be great to make it more of a one-stop-shop, where you have a lot of the features you need to run a group, and if not making more connections to external tools to integrate, making it the perfect place to run a foodsharing group :slight_smile:
      • Janina: this idea that groups can organise themselves in a way where you don’t need hierarchies where you empower people and really form teams where you empower people on an eye-to-eye level, it’s a really big issue everywhere!

• Tilmann: offering the same as before, can answer questions about the karrot structure, reviewing, most of the karrot code structure is in his mind still!
    • Bruno: answer some (maybe most?) of the e-mails. UX if any of Katie’s students are working with it. Support Nick in conceptualizing (golden rules, code of conduct) and generalization. implement some tiny issues that others find. some more screencast stuff with Taïs, more scripts? review?
    • Nick: quite a lot! helping to break off tasks for Tilmann, and being another person to talk on these maintenance topics. Mentoring, as I said, and spreading motivation. I’d like to have more coworking sessions to establish rhythm and regularity also for others. We could have a rota system for answering emails, so I’d also help with that.
    • Katie: a lot of people mentioned UX stuff, students would do in-depth studies, and open for this quick tasks, like 1-2h kind of tasks, could sketch some ideas for things that are very concrete, reach out!
    • Janina: don’t want to promise anything so not sure what to offer, usual thing might be read and look at things, maybe write an issue for Bruno (who is helping who here!?), answer German emails! I should be able to write a fucking email! can help katies students feel welcome!

• Tilmann: if I did something, would be happy for reviews from Nick, would be very interested in any outcome of usability research from Bruno/Katie to help with usability improvements
    • Bruno: basically everything I said about offering help, but in the other way round :slight_smile: desire to collaborate. would be happy to be mentored by Nick for coding.
    • Nick: emoji reactions are nice if people don’t have enough time to write comments. I find them very motivating. :slight_smile: Also feedback if I do too much, because I don’t want to dominate everything, but still go forward.
    • Katie: linking back to bigger UX project and students, would like them to feel like they’re part of the karrot team whilst they’re part of the project, hope they can join the meetings and get involved and be welcomed, and give them tasks like anyone else, help to make them feel welcome
    • Janina: please ping me if there are German emails (and ping again, where? Telegram is probably more safe)

• Tilmann: yes!
    • Bruno: maybe, spontaneously, let’s see
    • Nick: yes.
    • Katie: don’t think so? :slight_smile: thanks!
    • Janina: yes!

consensus / summary of what we’re doing ~10m?

• usability! maybe a pipeline, people notice little niggles, katie can sketch some solutions, and bruno and the students can implement it! supported with Nicks help
  • finish the governance design process, let’s see about actually implementing
  • conceptualizing of karrot itself, values, etc… a clearer message, leading to outreach, what is it and how does it work? a rocket chat channel…?
  • generalization progress, continuing momentum
  • maintainance + code improvements

quick reflection on roadmap structure ~2-3m

• Tilmann: review might be better if one person goes through all sections, as we did later on +1, maybe can reduce the structure a little bit? especially help/offer bit? frame it more as a collaboration point? (although could be less explicit about help)
  • Bruno: felt slow, but we caught up, timing seems ok
  • Nick: lots of answer points seemed to fit in multiple places, also should clarify in the docs whether to go through together or one by one
  • Katie: first time! nothing to compare, was really nice, quite structured, felt like was repeating myself quite often, a bit of repetition, could condense the questions, super nice though and not too far off schedule
  • Janina: yeah, found it quite nice! noticable that we already did it a few times, so improved flow, some redundancy but maybe ok, 2h is probably fine generally

weekly meeting section ~10m

keep it brief / minimal

See Weekly call about Karrot development - pad - HedgeDoc

… wave farewell to anybody who doesn’t want to join for the next section

checkout ~5m

5 min break, then rejoin for next bit for those interested

practical section for organising GitHub issues / forum threads ~50m+

(do we need to do this now? maybe after a break? or we just don’t do it now because we already sorted enough?)

goals:

• all GitHub issues (https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues) should have:
    • a milestone (of the 4: current development, current discussion, ready for development, discussion)
    • one or more labels
  • roadmap.md should be regenerated with updated milestones
  • forum threads
    • any thread discussing things that already have a corresponding GitHub issue should be linked
    • any thread discussing things that have reached a reasonably clear understanding of implementation should have a corresponding GitHub issue
    • possibly, create new forum threads for GitHub issues that are important/useful/relevent/current discussions if they don’t already have one

Next roadmap session

2021-02-21

duration: 1h (+optional extension)
date: 2021-04-05 12:00 CEST
facilitator: Nick
participants: Nick, Fabian, Layla, Vasileios, Bruno

agenda:

• checkin
  • thoughts for this session
    • Nick: more focused on the freeform discussion, have some ideas on categorise/framing
    • Fabian: no expectations to far, interested in how it’s working, doing planning in “normal” job, so curious how this works
    • Vasileios: no specific expectations, not sure how planned it could or should be, like the free chatting/discussion bit, let’s see how it goes
    • Layla: also just joining to get a more general idea of what’s going on, and see how she can do something, so far not so familiar with the topics
    • Bruno: what liked about previous sessions was a focus on trying to get together personal life motivations with the project, which level we’re at, interest level, how we might help each other, expecting we can go through that, and define how we can find out what’s going on how to work together
  • review of previous period
    • Roadmap meeting - #3 by nicksellen
    • the topics and themes were pretty connected to what we did
    • a lot to celebrate :slight_smile:
    • had new people that got involved and became active
    • we progressed on all of the topics in one way or another
    • still need to round-up some of them
    • we didn’t leave any of those topics to die :slight_smile:
    • had nice progress in goverannce, conceptualizing, landing page, generalization, usability study organising, and more ready to present to other types of groups
  • reflect on contributor questions
    • Contributors - Foodsaving Worldwide
    • Nick: Contributor update from Nick Sellen
      • dispend some responsiblities → more peoiple could take ownership of some sections
      • conseptual organizational
      • vision of Karrot–> general tool
      • Karrot connects a lot with Nick’s views of society
      • karrot–> the medium
      • available in general (coding, coordination, enablor of other people cause ‘he has all the keys’)
      • organizational carework → like maintaining the house < – more help in that
      • karrot money circle yes
    • Bruno: Contributor update from Bruno
      • continuing on the same level for the next 3 months
      • feeling of a lot of other stuff to attend to aswell as childcare, house stuff, not a lot of time remaining
      • not working a lot though as usual, so frees up some time
      • still one of the main projects of a few, so some hours per week, with some variation week-to-week
      • we worked a lot on conceptualizing and dreaming and have a lot of ideas, so would like to do more, within capabilities
      • … still need some conceptualizing of features, still need to put thoughts into those things, mostly Getting Stuff Done
      • bigger vision very similar to Nicks :slight_smile:
      • offering help? dunno! let’s see what people need help with, can definately help with connecting with some groups, his groups, giving feedback, other Swedish groups to get user input and participation from actual users, can probably take up some of the housekeeping tasks Nick mentioned (esp. if there is more specific stuff)
      • needs some code help when coding and getting stuck, as still learning, or help/support with thinking and conceptualising (aka “talking”)
      • money circle? was forced to check the box! yes, sometimes, don’t want the money, but would like to help if people want to pay their expenses, or seeking more funding, giving feedback, etc.
    • Fabian: Contributor update from
      • working as software developer from home, but currently on 100% covid idle (kurzarbiet), will change in 2 months, then working 80% for main job, not sure how much it will impact karrot work, would love to continue but can’t tell yet
      • main focus on coding aspects, balance in the “doing” part
      • the goal of reducing food waste and sustainability is important part of the vision
      • can provide most help in the software development and everything that surrounds that, transferring knowledge from professional experience in that (coding, test, architecture, domain driven design, everything… ), and the processes around that
      • don’t really need help at the moment :slight_smile:
      • don’t need to participate in money circle
    • Vasileios: Contributor update from Vasileios Ntouros
      • all around the place at the moment, “normal” would be UK, but then in Athens, then in a small village, and perspectives on life changing, focusing on garden and house renovation, am I a phd student? and where does that go? good at discussing and understanding politics of design, but not coding?
      • connection with karrot seems convoluted, this connection to phd is kind of like a “job”, but also making new friends, really enjoy joining call, don’t think so much about using those things for the phd
      • would love to meet in person, and discuss about wider topics than karrot too :slight_smile:
      • a bit convoluted and confusion :s
      • terribly bad in coding, or even understand what it is and how it works
      • spend a lot of time with the politics of design, so hopefully can contribute here
      • enjoy the chats where we share ideas, and beyond just the specific, but the politics and more subliminal aspects
      • has been asking collegaues from the uni to help understand coding, not to do it, but understanding how it fits together (e.g. using GitHub, etc…)
      • as for bigger visions, “digital friends” have a vision and want to help them, also a case study for work, wonder what role is, external researcher? or friend? how to contribute without exploiting it, contributing with real feelings, not just academic ones
      • spent a lot of time reading/writing about related topics, not so much specifically about food waste, can offer company (wider than just karrot), building up different relations, can also offer help with the academic contexts, more “flowery” academic terms, etc…
      • don’t need specific help, as not working alone so much, participating in the discussions
      • no money please
    • Layla
      • working as software developer, starting at 80% level in May
      • hope to continue working with karrot after that, but have to see how things develop
      • main area is software development
      • don’t feel so capable of conceptualising yet, dreaming is always OK :slight_smile:
      • enjoy that the software is going worldwide, and more than food waste, seems a great vision to have
      • right now don’t need any specific help, can ask Nick :slight_smile:
      • working with Freiburg group
      • can always try and help with anything software related
  • more freeform discussion to form a plan/structure
    • bringing practises from a different context can fail
      • e.g. bringing startup thinking into community volunteer project
      • the context is the people in the team participating
    • different categories/areas
      • tech infrastructure
        • quasar 2 / vue 3 upgrade + composition API
          • reworking data layer as it’s quite complex and hard to reason about
            • related data API design
              • sending back data related that is needed
          • compositional concept to replace vuexe
          • improving frontend testing method
        • leaving cordova? using capacitor or a TWA? (trusted web app)
          • Dominic might be a good fit
        • config API
          • to remove constants built into the frontend
        • ops
          • maybe can outsource the hosting/ops maintainence burden somewhere else to prevent Nick from doing it?
          • e.g. https://autonomic.zone/
      • organisational
        • having reflection moments, whats working (or not), esp. as circumstances change
        • weekly meetings, “how to contribute” docs, what kind of contributions that we expect?
        • haven’t formalised this so much and probably don’t need it too formal, but if we grow more need to formalise more bits, keeping the visions and values without losing where we come from and where we want to go
        • what can be improved?
        • maybe a diagram would be nice?
          • Vasileios had one somewhere… and Nick has been drawing
        • perhaps a bit more formalisation of wider set of people, e.g. users from groups on the forum
          • giving visibility and motivating people by recognising their input
          • maybe showing people on Foodsaving Worldwide | People
          • adding more democratic/participatory aspects
      • conceptual + outreach
        • we shoud have a meeting :slight_smile:
      • product
        • onboarding groups
        • refining the user experience
          • ongoing UX stuff?
          • user testing with Katies students
          • improving the experience of using karrot as a messaging app (goal: as slick as telegram)
        • managing agreements/ community governance community governance community governance community governance
          • in process with the governance design process
        • conflict resolution next iteration
          • next design process session?
        • breaking the silo!
          • public communication from groups
          • expanding beyond the silo of being inside a karrot group
          • faciliate connections to people who are not in the group but want to connect, or get information, e.g. finding out about public sharing places
          • they tend to have to use facebook, etc…
          • more connection between groups and creatin wider networks (e.g. foodsharing Sweden)
      • learning / knowledge sharing?
      • ux
  • focus for this period
    • Nick:
      • difficult to focus, progress in each of the top categories
      • Most of tech inf points I dont care that much–> explore options about ops though
      • Product part: doing what’s necessary → conceptual and outreach…so when we do the outreach karrot is
        • support group types
      • agreement management
        • keep up the momentum
      • organizational
        • having a diagram
        • more turning conceptual topics into GitHub issues
          • also the whole process of this happens
    • Fabian:
      • the focus of the whole Freiburg group, but can’t speak for all, as they do a group process
      • “GitHub issue” focused, pick one, then try and implement/fix it
      • personally, quite motivated to think about frontend testing
    • Vasileios:
      • conceptual/outreach (connected with product)
        • share some time discussing different groups that may need to use karrot
        • conceptualising what they might need and what kind of groups could use karrot
        • can lead to writing an invitation towards such groups
        • supporting different group types
      • interested in the group onboading parts
        • topics Bruno mentioned
        • joining groups, applications, invitations
      • also interested in the User testing
        • have to discuss with Katie
      • contining community governance topics as already involved
      • “breaking the silo” sounds like a good idea for the next community design process
        • what technical infrastructure is needed and how can design such a thing
    • Layla:
      • mostly the same as Fabian as also part of Freiburg group
      • as long as they are out of work, will continue like this
      • interested in the config API / technical stuff, seems separated from all the conceptual stuff, something that can just be done
        • Nick has done some stuff on this, and will communicate about that
    • Bruno:
      • finishing governance features (agreement management)
        • user testing
        • documentation?
        • more design?
      • outreach, contacting group, networks of people, blogs, participate in events
      • support different group types
        • also involves getting closer connection to other groups, e.g. introducing karrot to freeshops in Gothenburg
        • handholding and finding out needs
      • public places (part of “breaking the silo”)
        • conceptualising and designing
        • working together with Vasileios and whoever else is interested
      • more specific: places focused on communications instead of activities
        • can do some coding on it with some help
      • maybe do some more on the organizational part depending on the flow
  • quick reflection on roadmap structure
    • Nick: felt a bit disorganised as it was new/evolving process, initially missed out the bit on our focuses, so that’s very useful
    • Fabian: pretty happy with the outcome, especially the last bit, also didn’t agree with nick, could see a structure
    • Vasileios: disagree with nick on organised/disorganised balance, felt well organised! enough structure… was good.
    • Layla: liked it, feels very different from roadmap stuff at work as we all said what we feel we want to do, very different from having a priority already. hope everything got address. liked the last bit very much. well organised!
    • Bruno: not much to add, well organised, could improve on rounding up all the ideas, reaching the final set of things we want to work on, can work on that :slight_smile: so it doesn’t become too long, we could leave out the bit we already wrote on forum (maybe just free commenting/briefly before, get quicker into karrot details)
  • mini section for any important weekly announcements/topics
  • checkout for those not joining next section
  • (optional) practical section for organising GitHub issues / forum threads
  • checkout for the rest

sections

checkin

review of previous period

Last notes are Roadmap meeting - #3 by nicksellen

practical section for organising GitHub issues / forum threads

goals:

• all GitHub issues (https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues) should have:
    • a milestone (of the 4: current development, current discussion, ready for development, discussion)
    • one or more labels
    • links to related to forum threads or rocketchat discussions
  • roadmap.md should be regenerated with updated milestones
  • forum threads
    • any thread discussing things that already have a corresponding GitHub issue should be linked
    • any thread discussing things that have reached a reasonably clear understanding of implementation should have a corresponding GitHub issue
    • possibly, create new forum threads for GitHub issues that are important/useful/relevent/current discussions if they don’t already have one

Next roadmap session

• 13 weeks