Roadmap meeting

We had our first roadmap meeting with our new structure! It’ll happen every 3 months.

Later today https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/blob/master/ROADMAP.md will be updated to contain a high level summary and also links to related GitHub issues.

date: 2020-05-24 11:45 UTC+2 / CEST
faciliator: nick
participants: nick, bruno, tilmann, janina, taïs, felix (silent)

sections

review of previous period

as we haven’t done these before, it might be a bit vague, as we don’t have anything specific to reflect on.

but, we can do a little general structure retrospective structure:

  • what went well?
    • most previous roadmap points were fulfilled!
    • calls kept regular, success!
    • nice team feeling regenerated (sandro, active nick)
    • getting the new landing page done in a collaborative way
    • moving to new cool tools (rocket chat)
    • karrot.world still alive and happy
  • what went not so well?
    • dumpster.at didn’t happen, all felt vague and loose
    • progressively lost focus on the calls (Janina)
    • low forum activity
    • relatively low development activity compared to the last years
    • DLC did not adopt karrot after test phase
  • open questions on your mind?
    • “save things from being wasted, share them instead” --> does that fit to diversification goals for groups?
    • how do we get more groups to join?
    • how to find the right balance and work flow again? (janina)
    • how to get quality feedback from the groups? join their groups or somehow encourage them to join our channels?

personal roadmaps

  • what is the general shape/rhythm of your life in the next 3 months? (June-August)
    • Bruno: I might have more time if we’re able to organise well at home, since Madde will stop working
    • Tilmann: roof work, Mika care, visits to other places; happy to spend some time on the computer
    • Janina: Mika, roof, foodsharing, Karrot; hard to get started with short periods of focus time
    • Tais: Thesis, thesis, thesis! Participation in Karrot will go down as the final deadline approaches.
    • Nick: Maybe moving house soon, maybe coming to Kanthaus for a while? Other than that all seems well.
  • what is your karrot/fsww focus likely to be in those 3 months?
    0 - none at all, count me out for this one, maybe next time!
    1 - I can’t really dedicate much time, I might swing by the chat/forum here and there (Taïs: 1.7)
    2 - I have many other projects to work on, but I want to keep active somehow (Janina)
    3 - I can likely make some contributions (Tilmann)
    4 - it is one of only a few main projects for me (Bruno, Nick)
    5 - it is my main project right now
  • what are your interests/priorities in that time? some thought hints:
    • any more specific focus areas? (e.g. improving offers, refactoring vuex stores, getting feedback from groups)
      • Tilmann: I want to mostly work on smallish things that I can maybe read up in one evening and then finish it quickly - so that I can drop in and out on a weekly basis. I’d like to improve existing features. I don’t have anything concrete in my mind but I know there are some issues I can get started on. I’m also always keen on resolving bugs I find. With upgrading dependencies it is an ongoing work anyways. There’s also this old pull request about filtering the history that I have already spent some time on; I hope that I can finish this in the next weeks. I also want to focus more on the app, because it’s not so slick and useful as it is right now. Would be cool to improve it and then also advertise it more.
    • balance of dreaming / conceptualizing / doing?
      • Tilmann: mostly doing, a bit of conceptualisation
    • are you looking for stuff to do or focused on getting stuff done?
      • Janina: getting stuff done!
    • which bigger visions of karrot are most motivating to you at the moment?
      • Bruno: continue learning and working on simple tasks on the frontend that are feasible for me. I’m motivated to work more generally on one or both of the 2 topics/features that I wrote about on the chat: governance and public places. I see both as part of a bigger vision in making Karrot especially useful for the internal work of groups to self-organize in an open and democratic way and the external part of connecting them to facilitate movement-building. Inwards and outwards. Improving offers is also something that sooner or later I’d like to do. I’m flexible to focus on whatever depending on other people’s motivation and time, which is the whole point of this call for me.
      • Tilmann: Bigger vision points that still motivate me are generalization (even though it’s a bit too big for me to do it part-time) and the point that using Karrot should be enjoyable for people.
      • Janina: refactoring my processes, especially to spread the concept of saving food via cooperations, how to build a network; start/revive foodsharing.de working groups related to foodsaving worldwide, especially the English translation department; make foodsharing users aware that foodsaving worldwide exists and that they can contribute to it if they are travelling (better communication for task delegation); make a better structure for myself
      • Nick: I started a bit with this vision of customization again so that users can make Karrot their own. It’s more dreaming than anything right now, but it motivates me. There’s little bits of doing in there as well. User input on design processes is another thing that motivates me a lot these days. I want to come up with a much clearer idea on how we develop features and get an online process going. I see a structure emerging that could work. I also want to help others, in particular Valentin, Bruno and Tais. The general purpose governance has probably quite some thinking to do; add more sanctions to conflict resolution processes is more doing. Generalization consists of a lot of sub topics and I’d like to get a better overview on the whole thing. There’s work to do on both the conceptual and the doing level.
      • Tais: I want to focus on the screencast tutorials cause I won’t have much more time anyways.
  • what might you be able to offer others to help them?
    • Bruno: Collect feedback, improve usability, conceptualizing and communication in general. More especifically: work with Taïs on tutorial videos, work with Nick on (re-)thinking the generalization/customization topic. Help Janina with the Swedish networking. Feedback for Tilmann, testing…
    • Tilmann: I can help implementing some stuff if it’s clearly specified. I can give advice and explain e.g. Karrot architecture to Bruno and maybe even Nick. I can try to help Janina structure her work time.
    • Janina: give feedback on texts about conceptualisations and dreaming visions; also participate in the vision/dreaming!
    • Nick: share meta-organisation experience with Janina to try to help with work/life structure issues; help Bruno with code learning; participate in broad vision discussions; clarify issues to help Tilmann jump straight into implementation
    • Tais: I can help motivate Tilmann! :smiley: Participation in some discussions will be something I can do. Please don’t feel that you can’t ask me anything because I’ll be busy! (except big vision stuff)
  • what might you like from others to help you achieve this?
    • Bruno: Discussing the ideas and writing the code (learning process, technical expertise) I guess.
    • Tilmann: It’s definitely helpful for me to see any kind of activity on Karrot, it boosts my motivation. I’d like to see someone push the topic of documentation (be it for users or devs) cause then I’d probably join in as well.
    • Janina: help to find tasks to delegate to foodsharers.de
    • Nick: get feedback on blurbs (about big topics like generalisation);
    • Tais: would be cool if the momentum around the screencasts could be kept up.
  • do you want to participate in the karrot money circle for this period?
    • Bruno: maybe, mostly out of curiosity if I do. I do not intend to take any payment.
    • Tilmann: yes, I think I would.
    • Janina: yes, mainly because it still feels weird…^^
    • Nick: yes, I’m running out of money (laughs)
    • Tais: I don’t think I would, unless I don’t have anything to do when the call is on.
      outcome: nicely formatted text everybodies personal roadmaps to go on the forum thread

consensus / summary of what we’re doing

See how our different ideas/visions fit together, and try and get some consensus/focus areas we work on together.

  • screencast (user documentation introduction) (Tais, Bruno)
  • conceptualisation of generalisation & customisation: big conceptual talks & practical steps (Nick, Bruno)
  • group governance:
    • thinking about more conflict resolution sanctions and implementing them (Bruno, Nick)
    • conceptualize issues as means for general decision making (Bruno, Nick)
  • participatory feature design: come up with a process (Nick)
  • code maintenance (Tilmann)
  • reconnect communications with foodsharing.de (Janina)
  • add history list filters (Tilmann)
3 Likes

karrot roadmap

intro

a reflection on the past 3 months and a look into the next 3 months!

who should attend? anybody that feels they want to participate!

meta

duration: 2h
date: 2020-08-23 17:45 UTC+2 / CEST
faciliator: Nick
participants: Nick, Bruno, Tilmann, Janina

sections

review of previous period ~15m

  • what went well?

    • more time as a group, and working together (with co-working sessions)
    • progressed in the right direction for the main topics (even if baby steps, still important) - community engagement/participation and generalization
    • steady work rhythm with co-working, and weekly calls
    • maintainence going well up to date with dependencies and no crazy bugs
    • more community participation in the forum
    • much steadier work flow
    • got a pull request merged unexpectedly!
    • dragging Nathalie into it a bit more :slight_smile:
    • reconnected a lot to foodsharing.de
    • regular workling structure felt quite solid
    • clarified the projects I want to work on and defined Karrot as number one
    • got a lot of personal motivation on both the smaller and bigger scale
    • we managed to progress some of the user specific issues
    • progress on the design process topic
    • generalization became a lot more concrete
  • what went not so well?

    • a lot of the concrete tasks were not done
    • didn’t achieve any of the new things wanted to implement, got stuck and couldn’t get unstuck, some focus but didn’t lead anywhere, good code solutions were elusive! things getting too big and rough edges, got distracted
    • still missing contact with the more established groups on karrot, we’re kind of in a parallel world to the people in the groups
    • didn’t restructure international working groups on foodsharing.de
    • foodsharing.de report system restructure took a lot of focus
    • design process got a bit vague and not as concrete and specific as wished for
    • screencast got dropped
    • somehow things feel a bit slow
  • open questions on your mind?

    • how to get unstuck on development, personally
    • when will the foodsharing.de report system be done??!?!?!
    • how/when will the foodsharing.de international working groups restructure happen?
    • how can we (re)connect more with the groups? will the community design sprint serve this goal?
    • how to keep the momentum flowing during travels?
    • how to take everything to the next level?
  • Bruno’s notes and reflections:

    • personally: did put some work into coding (group switcher at topbar), a first draft to a community design process, started the scripts for screencast and never finished it (not completely abandoned though), organized a call on Foodsharing governance inviting other Karrot groups (still to happen), had nice co-workings and discussions. A little activity on the Mastodon account and started working on more academic-related stuff…
    • as a group: generally a nice working flow, with ups and downs naturally, but felt quite steady nonetheless. In this sense, co-workings have played an important role! We did not achieve a lot of the concrete tasks we had to do, but fine. We still made important steps in the directions we wanted to take: to improve community participation in Karrot development/feature design and to move forward in the generalization/custommization topic. The work on governance features had yet to mature and will probably get going in this next cycle.

personal roadmaps ~45m

  • what is the general shape/rhythm of your life in the next 3 months? (September-November)
    • Bruno: different than the last 3 months, but probably similar amount of time available to work on Karrot, less structured, more flexible, partner not working
    • Tilmann: trying to get development-time for about half the week, a bit more than before, otherwise still kanthaus roof work, but trying to get less directly involved, and of course Mika :slight_smile: … need to find out how who does what
    • Janina: Mika, Bubi2, foodsharing, Karrot. foodsharing will take most of my work time, but at some point we’ll be finished. Also some trips away.
    • Nick: Leave Göttingen and start a bike trip that will continue for the whole period. That comes with a lot of uncertainty, hopefully I’ll be able to productively code in some places but it’s not exactly clear how this will work out.
  • what is your karrot/fsww focus likely to be in those 3 months?
    0 - none at all, count me out for this one, maybe next time!
    1 - I can’t really dedicate much time, I might swing by the chat/forum here and there
    2 - I have many other projects to work on, but I want to keep active somehow
    3 - I can likely make some contributions
    4 - it is one of only a few main projects for me
    5 - it is my main project right now
    • Bruno: 4
    • Tilmann: a bit higher than last time, 4 now :slight_smile:
    • Janina: still 2 (kanthaus itself is quite a project…)
    • Nick: Would be 5 without the bike trip, but reality makes it a 4.
  • what are your interests/priorities in that time? some thought hints:
    • any more specific focus areas? (e.g. improving offers, refactoring vuex stores, getting feedback from groups)
      • Bruno: contribute to generalization as much as possible, codewise maybe looking at making places easier to use as discussion places, working out more governance features through design process, depending on inspiration/clarity more work on outreach, reconceptualising potential/direction of karrot
      • Tilmann: more play, try out one thing, drop it, try another… trying to get unstuck more. unfocused on which area. generalization could be interesting, but smaller things require less thinking about whole concept, maybe ldap thing (for yunohost)? or oauth? or full text search? this kind of stuff. what users ask for usually seems complicated and not easy to implement. tricky bit is thinking about a good solution.
      • Janina: conceptualizing about governance features esp. relating to foodsharing stuff they’ve been doing, dragging Nathalie more into it all :), some more tiny merge requests (felt good!)
      • Nick: Generalization and getting it to the next step. Doesn’t need to be a massive leap forward, but at least some tangible progress. Continue to work on user need features since it’s motivating. Support governance processes from the backseat. If there’s enough time self hosting is also interesting. Try to find better ways to do outreach and also continue to do it.
    • balance of dreaming / conceptualizing / doing?
      • Bruno: striking the balance!
      • Tilmann: mostly keep out of dreaming and conceptualizing :slight_smile:
      • Janina: a bit of everything
      • Nick: less dreaming, more conceptualizing and doing
    • are you looking for stuff to do or focused on getting stuff done?
      • Bruno: more focused on getting stuff done
      • Tilmann: if somebody has an interesting thing to do, happy for notice about it! lost a bit of the overview… quick changes… no plan!
      • Janina: getting stuff done (NOT looking for MORE stuff to do!!!)
      • Nick: a bit of balance, will sift through the forum to see what users need but also there’s already loads of stuff to do
    • which bigger visions of karrot are most motivating to you at the moment (if any)?
      • Bruno: getting more different types of groups using karrot (via the generalization work), e.g. toy library, trying to connect to new groups of people, e.g. via mastodon, or academics
      • Tilmann: unclear, sometimes too deep into topics to see bigger visions
      • Janina: Governance structures! Possibly because of my foodsharing involvement I’m again very proud of what we’re doing or trying to do with Karrot in this regard. :slight_smile:
      • Nick: This kind of user freedom for the groups to do stuff is much more specifically motivating. The general background motivation which is still there is the bottom-up revolution of society. :slight_smile:
  • what might you be able to offer others to help them?
    • Bruno: (head/mind is melting) usual stuff… community participation, feedback, testing, conceptualizing… would like to help others feel supported too
    • Tilmann: not sure if it’s useful, but maybe should check up in private with people to see how they’re doing, social stuff and coding, guiding work with karrot or connecting with topics, always up for code introductions, probably also reviews when in positive mood, esp if Janina/Bruno want to make some changes
    • Janina: Be normally there in the calls, be approachable for feedback of any kind, help read and write stuff (ping me with specific links! and love conceptualizing/visionary things)
    • Nick: help unstuck Tilmann through talking, casual informal, support governance and community design sprint but feel a little less driving, normal code stuff as well for everybody, general interest in what people are doing, bridging the gap of personal life and project work
  • what might you like from others to help you achieve this?
    • Bruno: comes quite naturally, code learning, etc., interests seems to be quite aligned, feel supported already :slight_smile:
    • Tilmann: help to get unstuck from topics that get dragged along, talking more with others, especially Nick, but also Bruno/Janina
    • Janina: reminders for the calls! being asked if things are needed (having a tricky time remembering to check rocket chat) as missing overview (mentions/direct messages work well)
    • Nick: some patience is nice, I’ll be a bit fragmented and will take some time to get stuff going, engagement on the community forum is also very much appreciated to (re)activate more community people
  • do you want to participate in the karrot money circle for this period?
    • Bruno: perhaps, take it spontaneously
    • Tilmann: yes!
    • Janina: yes! starts to be a thing, feels good!
    • Nick: yes!

consensus / summary of what we’re doing ~10-15m?

See how our different ideas/visions fit together, and try and get some consensus/focus areas we work on together.

  • main topics seem to be:
    • generalization
    • governance
    • connecting with community
    • connecting with others (e.g. mastodon/academia)
  • continuing stuff that already got started
  • contribution numbers felt like that they all went up! good working feeling :slight_smile: we can use the steady work flow to do things, so less dreaming! more doing

quick reflection on roadmap structure ~2-3m

  • Bruno: almost completely melted now, quite enjoyed it! melting was not due to roadmap call… can be quite lengthy, later in the day makes it harder, nevertheless a good structure! Brings out reflections, looking at past/present/future, interactions within team, personal situations. Trying to focus on concrete outcomes. Can’t think of improvements right now!
  • Tilmann: is a good use of the time, everything very relevant, not much boilerplate, I think it was quite informal and relaxed, quite energised now! (nice calm environment helping), seems good!
  • Janina: also liked it (liked it last time! like structured meetings with sections), quite easy with prep. in the pre-beginning felt like “oh roadmap only just happened”, but actually the duration seemed about right, especially if want more things to happen… making it less frequent probably would lead us to do less… like the way it works… except forgot about the practical issues organising section, now tired and got distracted by nice dumpster food arriving, also had a long call before…)
  • Nick: I was happy because I put about zero thought into it but the already established structure carried the whole thing. It felt like all the sections fit and it sort of flowed. Everybody had answers that were interesting and relevant. I pat myself on the back for coming up with the structure last time. We just should have done the weekly meeting in the section mentioned on here and not before the whole roadmap.

Next

Next roadmap session will be on 2020-11-22 (13 weeks after this one).