Weekly call about Karrot development

Reminder: call 2019-07-31T10:00:00Z

It’s an open meeting, so anyone who’s interested in Karrot development is welcome!

Date: 2019-07-31 12:00
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Tilmann, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • continue upgrading to Quasar v1, now ~60% done. Have been working on it almost 2 weeks in summary by now, progress feels sluggish… (Tilmann)
  • had a look at the bike kitchen theme to prepare creation of general purpose theme (Janina)
  • got added to the Wandelbündnis/Kreis Digitalis wechange group (Janina)
  • started writing the document on the vision and roadmap, about 50% done https://pad.disroot.org/p/karrotvision. (Bruno)

2. Up this week

_ write down what you want to do for the project in the next 7 days_

  • Finishing the first draft of vision and roadmap document (Bruno)
  • continue upgrading Quasar (Tilmann)
  • continue with general purpose theme (Janina)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • we should work more on PR, vision is part of that. Description of what Karrot does is not straightforward on the website (https://social.coop/@nicksellen/102487299785168917). User documentation is also an important thing, check with EfA group and their internal Karrot documentation.
  • Next meeting: 2019-08-07 12:00 (UTC+2)
  • Next facilitator: Janina

Date: 2019-08-07 12:00
Facilitator: Janina
Participants: Bruno, Tilmann, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • upgrading Quasar, spent lots of time with PickupEdit and PickupSeriesEdit forms (Tilmann)
  • wrote more on the vision/roadmap (Bruno)
  • did the frontend part of the general purpose theme (Janina)
  • Disa created a group that wants the general purpose theme (https://karrot.world/#/groupPreview/70)
  • enabled Letzebuergesch locale (Janina)
  • joined the foodsharing festival sleeping spot exchange group to try and find some for the solikyl group (Janina)

2. Up this week

_ write down what you want to do for the project in the next 7 days _

  • write in the solikyl forum about the sleep situation in Berlin (Janina)
  • do the backend part of the general purpose theme (Janina, Tilmann)
  • continue upgrading Quasar, post some screenshots on the forum (Tilmann)
  • emphasize trust and direct democratic governance on vision text (Bruno)
  • ask Sylvia from EfA for a link to their Karrot docs (Janina)

3. Discussion

_project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down _

  • Bruno’s vision/roadmap text: Janina and Tilmann like it very much. There will be more discussion and some kind of formal adoption needed until we put it on any website, but we all like the direction.
    • general purpose theme is almost done, next point on Bruno’s proposed roadmap is facilitation of navigation between groups. This is also a point that Janina and Tilmann find useful, especially the clearly sketched out drop-down button on the upper left of the page.
    • behavior of notifications when in multiple groups: when the (message or bell) notification from another group is clicked the group should automatically be switched. There seem to be some bugs still, where this is not the case, e.g: threads
    • dashboard: would require more thought and work. will not happen super soon, but sounds like a nice feature for people in multiple groups.
    • more emphasis on trust and direct democratic governance: explanation of why we want to keep stores open and a lot of editors in any group; why we sometimes don’t fulfill user wishes that go into the other direction
  • multigroup use case brainstorming/dreaming:
    • ‘umbrella groups’ or simply pages based on location could be cool to give an overview if there are many groups in one area
    • ‘umbrella groups’ could have limited purposes, be public or open and don’t be fully featured
    • who would have the rights to edit open/public umbrella groups? everyone? it could also be a place that is shared between groups, so the people who have editing rights in those groups also have them in the umbrella group (rights inheritance is quite complex from a programming perspective)
    • location-based info pages could even be auto-generated and just contain the local groups with logo and description displayed as tiles

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-08-14 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

@Janina: four of us that are going to Berlin from solikyl have found the perfect oldscool tent that we want to live in at the festival, two of us have relatives to sleep at in Berlin. So its already fixed.

1 Like

Reminder: next call in 30 minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Date: 2019-08-14 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Tilmann, Bruno, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • continued upgrading Quasar, now 8000+ lines changed… .https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/pull/1690 (Tilmann)
  • got the general purpose theme merged, group 70 is now set to ‘general’ (Janina, Tilmann)
  • further inquired about sleeping situation of Solikyl guests in Berlin, unfortunately none were found (Janina)
  • Sylvia sent the EfA guide about Karrot (Janina)
  • checked on a couple of groups interested in adopting Karrot (Bruno)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next 7 days

  • finish upgrading Quasar, definitely publish forum post with screenshots (Tilmann)
  • have the international meetup at the foodsharing festival in Berlin (Janina)
  • take a look at the vision/roadmap text, rewrite stuff (Bruno)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • Where do we want to put the vision text? Could go in the repository, on karrot.world, on foodsaving.world or the community forum.
    • Repository seems fine for now, maybe later extract some blocks of text for karrot.world and foodsaving.world respectively.

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-08-21 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Date: 2019-08-21 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Janina, Tilmann, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • small changes to the vision text (Bruno)
  • some testing of notifications (Bruno)
  • continued upgrading Quasar, now done with UI and in the middle of fixing tests (Tilmann)
  • held international meetup at foodsharing festival in Berlin (Janina)
  • read the EfA Karrot guide (Janina)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next 10 days

  • update URL to https://whereby.com/karrot (Tilmann)
  • write forum post about Quasar upgrade when released to dev.karrot.world (Tilmann)
  • change group 71 to general theme (Tilmann)
  • do some more usability tests for notifications (Bruno)
  • make a PR eventually on the vision text (Bruno)
  • read the vision text and come up with a plan of where to put it and how, maybe even integrate with constitution? (Janina)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • settings for (e-mail) notifications
    • wall toggle: icons are kinda confusing. how about changing the green bell with the envelope, the crossed out bell with the green bell and the crossed out eye with the crossed out bell? (bruno)
    • we can rethink this, but it needs to have a good concept and alignment with other icon usages, like in this case in the message notifications. (tilmann)
    • I would like to change icons, there is still a lot of confusion in our icon usage. the bell is also wrong in this case, because wall messages don’t create bell notifications but message notifications. (janina)
  • chips: colors and their meaning
    • chips in message notification menu are grey if wall toggle is set to muted (crossed out bell)
    • chips in sidenav are always green for group wall
    • chips in sidenav are green for store walls if subscribed or muted; there is no chip if there’s no subscription
    • chips could be cool to have always in the sidenav, just greyed out if it’s a place you didn’t subscribe to. because I think that people often might subscribe to a place if they see that there is something going on. but how can they know if they’re not shown the activity? (bruno)
    • from a database point of view that would mean that everybody is subscribed to everything - just invisibly. (tilmann)
  • place subscriptions: if you comment on the wall you’re automatically subscribed to the conversation but you did not automatically star the place
  • emails vs. website notifications
    • emails seem to be a whole different category. having them mixed into the settings of e.g. the wall toggle causes confusion. maybe we should take them out of there completely. (janina)
    • we need a clearer language so that we can come up with a clearer concept to then finally implement it. (tilmann)
    • this stuff is really complex… (all)
    • how should the software know when and how to bug people about something? there are at least three different levels (email, website and push in the app or browser), and the website level alone comes in different forms (notification menus, chips, different colors). (tilmann)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-08-31 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Janina

Proposal: let’s replace the Etherpad with something that understands Markdown syntax, e.g. CodiMD. We have one at Kanthaus: https://codi.kanthaus.online/karrot-weekly?edit
Then it’s easier to copy the text without introducing lots of unnecessary newlines.

2 Likes

Next call is starting in 5 minutes at https://whereby.com/karrot. :slightly_smiling_face:

Date: 2019-08-31 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Janina
Participants: Tilmann, Bruno, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • wrote issue #1704 about location-based overview pages (Janina)
  • merged Quasar upgrade and deployed to dev.karrot.world! Then I made a long list of things that are still broken (Tilmann)
  • didn’t do shit related to Karrot (Bruno)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next 10 days

  • take new screenshots of the app for google play store (Bruno)
  • fix bugs in dev.karrot.world (Tilmann)
  • create a pr for the vision text (Bruno, Janina)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • political questions in foodsharing leipzig as well as solikyl: food donations to activist events sparked very similar discussions
    • is the organisation supporting the event or the individual foodsavers? if it’s the foodsavers they of course can do what they want with the food they saved, but the organisation’s name shouldn’t be used for polarizing things - already for pr reasons
    • what can which platform be used for? controversial book recommendations in solikyl’s karrot group, as well as activist training camp on foodsharing.de were rejected by quite a few people. line of reasoning: ‘this is not about foodsaving!’
    • how political is foodsaving? can climate skeptics be foodsavers? are foodsaving groups always climate justice initiatives? -> not necessarily, but the discussion seems to be coming up in many places.
  • quasar upgrade: things look more square, fonts in menus seem smaller
    • [bruno] it looks less friendly but might be better for navigation because it offers better overview
    • [tilmann] there are still a lot of bugs, my list is already super long. I don’t know if I can fix them all next week, probably not. but if I have a good enough feeling I will still deploy to production and then keep on fixing the bugs there.

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-09-09 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Reminder: next call today at 2019-09-09T10:30:00Z at https://whereby.com/karrot

Date: 2019-09-09 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Janina, Tilmann, Nick, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • created pull request #1724 for Bruno’s vision text (Janina)
  • wrote a email to be sent to Sparkpost if they would like to sponsor us so that we can keep sending emails (Janina)
  • researched alternatives for email sending if Sparkpost declines - https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1653 (Tilmann)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • take care that emails keep working (Tilmann)
  • actually fix the remaining bugs from the Quasar upgrade (Tilmann)
  • get user feedback from Nijmegen (Janina)
  • discuss on the vision pull request (Tilmann, Janina, Bruno)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • How to go forward with email sending?
    • maybe Sparkpost sponsors us
    • if not, then fall back to Mailgun with 10.000 free emails per month (but needs some fiddling with status webhooks)
    • if 10.000 emails/month is not enough anymore:
      • ask other providers for sponsorship
      • pay some money
      • roll out our own email sending thing, possibly benefitting other projects too
    • try to reduce number of emails
      • make people use the app and don’t send emails to them anymore
      • generally send less emails -> better notification settings!
  • Sandro wrote in #karrot-dev if he could do his master’s thesis on the Karrot trust system
    • In which direction should the trust system evolve? More hierarchy, more flat…? What’s the lowest common denominator of group hierarchies?
    • Talks about conflict resolution feature: seems “heavy” because it seems so final; but could also be just removing them temporarily

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-09-17 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno

1 Like

Date: 2019-09-17 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Janina, Tilmann

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • set up postal.karrot.world and replace SparkPost with it (Tilmann)
  • split VISION.md into vision and roadmap part and merged it (Tilmann, Janina)
  • trust graph analysis (John, Tilmann)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • make some statistics about which kind of emails get sent out frequently and which notification settings are enabled (Tilmann)
  • go through our hypotheses and talk with John; also check his research scripts (Tilmann)
  • document current email setup (Tilmann)
  • progress with remaining Quasar upgrade bugs (Tilmann)
  • ask some people in Solikyl why and how they use the trust system (Bruno)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • There is some good data about trust but no hypothesis was used to analyse it. Some of the ideas we discussed:
    • People who are more active in Karrot (and in the physical world) get more trust?
    • Are people with lots of trust anxious if people with less trust get the same rights as them?
    • Are people with lots of trust more likely to receive even more trust, especially from newcomers?
    • Reciprocity is strong: those who give trust expect trust back, and those who get trust feel they should give it back?
  • Invite by e-mail vs application
    • it should be more visible if the person was invited by e-mail or applied to the group. But not really many people use the invitation feature (mostly when starting a group?)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-09-24 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Janina

Next call 2019-09-24T10:30:00Z at https://whereby.com/karrot

Pad at https://codi.kanthaus.online/karrot-weekly?edit

Date: 2019-09-24 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Janina
Participants: Sandro, Tilmann, Janina, Nick, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • publish essentials of conversation with John (Tilmann)
  • implement webhook security, document current email setup (Tilmann)
  • progress with remaining Quasar upgrade bugs (Tilmann)
  • backend walkthrough call (Tilmann, Sandro)
  • ask a few more how they use the trust system and ask about notifications (Bruno)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • Sandro’s masters thesis
    • he really likes django and has worked with python a lot over the last years
    • would be great if he could find something to contribute to karrot because he finds it useful
    • doesn’t have to be about the trust system
    • hopefully Karrot is suitable for a CS masters program since it’s not super challenging from a technical POV
    • UX/UI stuff is tricky and uni Ulm apparently has a focus on psychology as well, but those things are painful…
    • Sandro would like to have a walkthrough for the backend to know better what he could work on
    • Bruno suggests public places for Sandro to work on - the detailed concept is still unclear

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-01 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2019-10-01 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Bruno, Nick, Janina, Tilmann

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • did a walkthrough with Sandro (Tilmann)
  • implement webhook authentication (Tilmann)
  • write blog post about email setup (Tilmann)
  • did a little bit of fixing remaining UI bugs (Tilmann)
  • talked to Naomi about foodsaving in Stockholm and people’s perception of Karrot there (Bruno)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • publish essentials of conversation with John (Tilmann)
  • progress with remaining Quasar upgrade bugs (Tilmann)
  • progress with history export backend (Tilmann)
  • check if we can have a “Month of Karrot” in January at Kanthaus (Tilmann)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • Karrot apparently has problems on some Apple devices, how to improve?
    • could buy some second-hand Mac or iPhone
    • maybe write a post in the community forum if somebody knows an interested developer with Mac
    • could use BrowserStack or Saucelabs to test Karrot in virtual iPhones
  • How to use “Karrot money”?
    • Nick wants to work out some ideas on how to use it, based on solidarity

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-08 19:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Date: 2019-10-08 19:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Sandro, Tilmann, Janina, Nick

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • fix a lot of remaining bugs and did a release (Tilmann)
  • did a phone call with Jan from Czech Republic about starting foodsaving and software ideas (Tilmann, Janina)
  • responded to some emails and feedback in the forum (Tilmann)
  • tried to draft something about trust and contacted Uni people about master thesis (Sandro)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • get into contact with developer in Gothenburg and invite for meeting (Bruno)
  • write an issue about pickups with duration still being visible (Bruno)
  • progress with history export backend (Tilmann)
  • publish essentials of research conversation with John (Tilmann)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • Sandro’s proposal about the trust system and other possible topics on his master thesis and ways to contribute to Karrot
  • funding from Sweden (Vinnova) on civic tech. Something to check out
  • pickups with end time visible until they end (Bruno will write an issue on that)
  • ideas from Belgium: Ideas from Leuven, Belgium
  • wondering about the effects and workings of the French law on food waste
  • Month of Karrot in January at Kanthaus. Confirmed!

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-14 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Several people in Bikekitchen Gothenburg have told me they would want to be able to upload pictures to the chats in karrot, and perhaps would use it more if it was possible.

Sure! I added a new issue about it here: https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1793
By the way, it is already possible to reference images in all conversations using the Markdown syntax ![](https://link.to/image.jpg), but you need to host it using another service with https.

Date: 2019-10-14 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Sandro, Janina, Tilmann, Nick, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • put foodsharing international FAQ somewhere (Janina)
  • replace international email on https://foodsharing.de/team (Janina)
  • look through https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/milestone/14 and personal TODO list for useful small tasks (Tilmann)
  • mark more tasks as starter tasks (Tilmann)
  • Karrotrust: Structuring feedback, consult karrot dev team and try to work on a better concept. (Sandro)
  • remind the friend again to give developer’s contact in Gothenburg (Bruno)

3. Discussion

  • think about a more streamlined foodsaving worldwide onboarding process
    • make it more welcoming for people who are looking for “foodsharing”
    • merge resources (foodsaving.world, foodsaving.today, community forum, foodsharing.de international working group)
    • design a step-by-step process, e.g.
      1. join community forum
      2. create Karrot group
      3. gather some people
      4. save food!
      5. save all other stuff
  • idea: make a Karrot promontional video with contributions from all groups
    • things like “We’re saving food in Warszawa with Karrot”
  • idea: a monthly foodsaving worldwide call; more people might be interested than in a Karrot call

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-21 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno/Nick?