Weekly call about Karrot development

Proposal: let’s replace the Etherpad with something that understands Markdown syntax, e.g. CodiMD. We have one at Kanthaus: https://codi.kanthaus.online/karrot-weekly?edit
Then it’s easier to copy the text without introducing lots of unnecessary newlines.

2 Likes

Next call is starting in 5 minutes at https://whereby.com/karrot. :slightly_smiling_face:

Date: 2019-08-31 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Janina
Participants: Tilmann, Bruno, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • wrote issue #1704 about location-based overview pages (Janina)
  • merged Quasar upgrade and deployed to dev.karrot.world! Then I made a long list of things that are still broken (Tilmann)
  • didn’t do shit related to Karrot (Bruno)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next 10 days

  • take new screenshots of the app for google play store (Bruno)
  • fix bugs in dev.karrot.world (Tilmann)
  • create a pr for the vision text (Bruno, Janina)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • political questions in foodsharing leipzig as well as solikyl: food donations to activist events sparked very similar discussions
    • is the organisation supporting the event or the individual foodsavers? if it’s the foodsavers they of course can do what they want with the food they saved, but the organisation’s name shouldn’t be used for polarizing things - already for pr reasons
    • what can which platform be used for? controversial book recommendations in solikyl’s karrot group, as well as activist training camp on foodsharing.de were rejected by quite a few people. line of reasoning: ‘this is not about foodsaving!’
    • how political is foodsaving? can climate skeptics be foodsavers? are foodsaving groups always climate justice initiatives? -> not necessarily, but the discussion seems to be coming up in many places.
  • quasar upgrade: things look more square, fonts in menus seem smaller
    • [bruno] it looks less friendly but might be better for navigation because it offers better overview
    • [tilmann] there are still a lot of bugs, my list is already super long. I don’t know if I can fix them all next week, probably not. but if I have a good enough feeling I will still deploy to production and then keep on fixing the bugs there.

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-09-09 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Reminder: next call today at 2019-09-09T10:30:00Z at https://whereby.com/karrot

Date: 2019-09-09 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Janina, Tilmann, Nick, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • created pull request #1724 for Bruno’s vision text (Janina)
  • wrote a email to be sent to Sparkpost if they would like to sponsor us so that we can keep sending emails (Janina)
  • researched alternatives for email sending if Sparkpost declines - https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1653 (Tilmann)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • take care that emails keep working (Tilmann)
  • actually fix the remaining bugs from the Quasar upgrade (Tilmann)
  • get user feedback from Nijmegen (Janina)
  • discuss on the vision pull request (Tilmann, Janina, Bruno)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • How to go forward with email sending?
    • maybe Sparkpost sponsors us
    • if not, then fall back to Mailgun with 10.000 free emails per month (but needs some fiddling with status webhooks)
    • if 10.000 emails/month is not enough anymore:
      • ask other providers for sponsorship
      • pay some money
      • roll out our own email sending thing, possibly benefitting other projects too
    • try to reduce number of emails
      • make people use the app and don’t send emails to them anymore
      • generally send less emails -> better notification settings!
  • Sandro wrote in #karrot-dev if he could do his master’s thesis on the Karrot trust system
    • In which direction should the trust system evolve? More hierarchy, more flat…? What’s the lowest common denominator of group hierarchies?
    • Talks about conflict resolution feature: seems “heavy” because it seems so final; but could also be just removing them temporarily

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-09-17 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno

1 Like

Date: 2019-09-17 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Janina, Tilmann

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • set up postal.karrot.world and replace SparkPost with it (Tilmann)
  • split VISION.md into vision and roadmap part and merged it (Tilmann, Janina)
  • trust graph analysis (John, Tilmann)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • make some statistics about which kind of emails get sent out frequently and which notification settings are enabled (Tilmann)
  • go through our hypotheses and talk with John; also check his research scripts (Tilmann)
  • document current email setup (Tilmann)
  • progress with remaining Quasar upgrade bugs (Tilmann)
  • ask some people in Solikyl why and how they use the trust system (Bruno)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • There is some good data about trust but no hypothesis was used to analyse it. Some of the ideas we discussed:
    • People who are more active in Karrot (and in the physical world) get more trust?
    • Are people with lots of trust anxious if people with less trust get the same rights as them?
    • Are people with lots of trust more likely to receive even more trust, especially from newcomers?
    • Reciprocity is strong: those who give trust expect trust back, and those who get trust feel they should give it back?
  • Invite by e-mail vs application
    • it should be more visible if the person was invited by e-mail or applied to the group. But not really many people use the invitation feature (mostly when starting a group?)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-09-24 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Janina

Next call 2019-09-24T10:30:00Z at https://whereby.com/karrot

Pad at https://codi.kanthaus.online/karrot-weekly?edit

Date: 2019-09-24 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Janina
Participants: Sandro, Tilmann, Janina, Nick, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • publish essentials of conversation with John (Tilmann)
  • implement webhook security, document current email setup (Tilmann)
  • progress with remaining Quasar upgrade bugs (Tilmann)
  • backend walkthrough call (Tilmann, Sandro)
  • ask a few more how they use the trust system and ask about notifications (Bruno)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • Sandro’s masters thesis
    • he really likes django and has worked with python a lot over the last years
    • would be great if he could find something to contribute to karrot because he finds it useful
    • doesn’t have to be about the trust system
    • hopefully Karrot is suitable for a CS masters program since it’s not super challenging from a technical POV
    • UX/UI stuff is tricky and uni Ulm apparently has a focus on psychology as well, but those things are painful…
    • Sandro would like to have a walkthrough for the backend to know better what he could work on
    • Bruno suggests public places for Sandro to work on - the detailed concept is still unclear

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-01 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2019-10-01 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Bruno, Nick, Janina, Tilmann

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • did a walkthrough with Sandro (Tilmann)
  • implement webhook authentication (Tilmann)
  • write blog post about email setup (Tilmann)
  • did a little bit of fixing remaining UI bugs (Tilmann)
  • talked to Naomi about foodsaving in Stockholm and people’s perception of Karrot there (Bruno)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • publish essentials of conversation with John (Tilmann)
  • progress with remaining Quasar upgrade bugs (Tilmann)
  • progress with history export backend (Tilmann)
  • check if we can have a “Month of Karrot” in January at Kanthaus (Tilmann)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • Karrot apparently has problems on some Apple devices, how to improve?
    • could buy some second-hand Mac or iPhone
    • maybe write a post in the community forum if somebody knows an interested developer with Mac
    • could use BrowserStack or Saucelabs to test Karrot in virtual iPhones
  • How to use “Karrot money”?
    • Nick wants to work out some ideas on how to use it, based on solidarity

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-08 19:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Date: 2019-10-08 19:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Sandro, Tilmann, Janina, Nick

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • fix a lot of remaining bugs and did a release (Tilmann)
  • did a phone call with Jan from Czech Republic about starting foodsaving and software ideas (Tilmann, Janina)
  • responded to some emails and feedback in the forum (Tilmann)
  • tried to draft something about trust and contacted Uni people about master thesis (Sandro)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • get into contact with developer in Gothenburg and invite for meeting (Bruno)
  • write an issue about pickups with duration still being visible (Bruno)
  • progress with history export backend (Tilmann)
  • publish essentials of research conversation with John (Tilmann)

3. Discussion

project-related topics that you’d like to discuss with other participants. Positions and outcomes should be noted down

  • Sandro’s proposal about the trust system and other possible topics on his master thesis and ways to contribute to Karrot
  • funding from Sweden (Vinnova) on civic tech. Something to check out
  • pickups with end time visible until they end (Bruno will write an issue on that)
  • ideas from Belgium: Ideas from Leuven, Belgium
  • wondering about the effects and workings of the French law on food waste
  • Month of Karrot in January at Kanthaus. Confirmed!

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-14 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Several people in Bikekitchen Gothenburg have told me they would want to be able to upload pictures to the chats in karrot, and perhaps would use it more if it was possible.

Sure! I added a new issue about it here: https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1793
By the way, it is already possible to reference images in all conversations using the Markdown syntax ![](https://link.to/image.jpg), but you need to host it using another service with https.

Date: 2019-10-14 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Sandro, Janina, Tilmann, Nick, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • put foodsharing international FAQ somewhere (Janina)
  • replace international email on https://foodsharing.de/team (Janina)
  • look through https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/milestone/14 and personal TODO list for useful small tasks (Tilmann)
  • mark more tasks as starter tasks (Tilmann)
  • Karrotrust: Structuring feedback, consult karrot dev team and try to work on a better concept. (Sandro)
  • remind the friend again to give developer’s contact in Gothenburg (Bruno)

3. Discussion

  • think about a more streamlined foodsaving worldwide onboarding process
    • make it more welcoming for people who are looking for “foodsharing”
    • merge resources (foodsaving.world, foodsaving.today, community forum, foodsharing.de international working group)
    • design a step-by-step process, e.g.
      1. join community forum
      2. create Karrot group
      3. gather some people
      4. save food!
      5. save all other stuff
  • idea: make a Karrot promontional video with contributions from all groups
    • things like “We’re saving food in Warszawa with Karrot”
  • idea: a monthly foodsaving worldwide call; more people might be interested than in a Karrot call

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-10-21 12:30 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno/Nick?

Date: 2019-10-21 12:30 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: ?
Participants: Nick, Tilmann, Sandrolo, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • started UI for “sharing offers” feature (Nick)
  • chatted a bit with Sandro about trust and voting, etc (Nick)
  • went through all issues on Github, closing/commenting some (Tilmann)
  • change statistics calculation (Tilmann)
  • fix & speed up history export (Tilmann)
  • added some more backend stats, e.g about failed logins (Tilmann)
  • we now get a notification in #karrot-world-admin if somebody creates a new group (Tilmann)
  • Reading papers, talking to different people about trust, roles and group decisions (Sandro)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • Coming up with more concrete proposals for Master Thesis implementation that can fit Karrot (Sandro)
  • Getting feedback from group users about trust feature usage (and thresholds etc.) (Sandro)
  • Add filters to history lists https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1520 (Tilmann)

3. Discussion

  • talked a lot about trust, roles and group decisions

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-11-04, 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2019-11-04 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Sandro, Tilmann, Janina, Bruno, Nick, Robin

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

3. Discussion

  • solidarity payments model? (nick)
    • Nick has some drafts that he wants to refine before releasing; he presented them and asked for feedback
    • positive feedback from Bruno, Tilmann and Janina
  • crowdfunding? (Bruno)
  • switch from whereby.com to jitsi? (Tilmann)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-11-11 12:30 (UTC+1) on https://meet.jit.si/karrot
Next facilitator: Nick

Date: 2019-11-11 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Tilmann, Janina, Sandro, Nick

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • some small dependency upgrades, but not much focus time lately (Tilmann)
  • talked with Nick about the unused agreements feature (Tilmann)
  • Talked with Robin about his wish to include trigger abstraction into master thesis (Sandro)
  • Progressed a bit with offers, some backend tests (nick)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • Start implementation for Master Thesis (Sandro)
  • continue with history list filters (Tilmann)
  • refine date format in history CSV export (Tilmann)
  • continue on offers, focused on getting backend merged (nick)

3. Discussion

  • would be good to improve switching between groups (Bruno)
  • payday call scheduled at last friday of the month. first call 2019-11-29 12:30 (UTC+1)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-11-18 12:30 (UTC+1) on https://meet.jit.si/karrot
Next facilitator: Nick

Date: 2019-11-18 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Nick, Sandro, Bruno, Tilmann, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • started implementing karmantra (Master Thesis) - no real functionality yet (Sandro)
  • got offers backend merged (Nick)
  • progressed offers frontend (Nick)
  • did not read through Sandros docs again, ooops (Nick)
  • reviewed, merged and released two Pull Requests: address autocomplete and message grouping (Tilmann)
  • uploaded very early draft PR for history list filters (Tilmann)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

3. Discussion

  • [Nick] idea about extending group wall with other activities that users can react/comment on
  • long waffly conversation about foodsharing

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-11-25 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2019-11-25 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Bruno, Tilmann, Nick, Janina, (Mika)

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • Get deeper and start using a test framework for karmantra (Sandro)
  • push to get offer reviewed/merged (Nick)
  • feedback on Sandro codi document and/or general comments on git repo (Nick)
  • money meeting on Friday
  • test the speed of Karrot, where it is slow (bruno)

3. Discussion

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-12-02 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Jitsi seems to have problems, let’s use https://whereby.com/karrot today! @sandrolo

Date: 2019-12-02 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Tilmann, Janina, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • reviewed and merged offers frontend to dev (Nick, Tilmann)
  • looked into performance issues and made some preliminary improvements (Nick, Tilmann)
  • collected performance-related topics in meta-issue https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1914 (Nick, Tilmann)
  • did some unsystematic testing of speed (Bruno)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • ask around for iPhone to use for testing (Tilmann)
  • unbreak design, probably from quasar update (Tilmann)
  • add link to community forum and weekly call to karrot-frontend readme (Tilmann)
  • open an issue about reply by e-mails going into the wall instead of a thread (bruno)
  • test again if I get an e-mail notification for an offer I created and write on the forum (Bruno)

3. Discussion

  • activate offers on groups 10 57 68 and 71
  • update about funding possibilities in Gothenburg
  • talk about “money talk”

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-12-09 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Tilmann