Weekly call about Karrot development

Date: 2019-12-16 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Sandro, Nick, Bruno, Tilmann, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • did lots of work on my other projects (nick)
  • had a call with Sandro/Nick (nick/sandro)
  • fiddled with the dashboards in grafana to show new performance data and offers (nick/Tilmann)
  • ‘create new group’ link -> notification in Slack #karrot-world-admin (nick)
  • fixed a bug with thread notifications (Tilmann)
  • speed up conversation and thread list endpoint (Tilmann)
  • wrote a post at community forum about offers (Bruno) New feature available! Offers
  • started thinking about Karrot’s home page and wrote an issue about it (Bruno) https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1944
  • Officially registered Master Thesis today (Sandro)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • Figure out how to implement mapping of triggers and roles (Sandro)
  • Start a draft for the description and about page (Bruno)

3. Discussion

  • foodsaving worldwide emails
    • not really getting answered right now
    • idea to setup an autoresponder to tell them to go to community.foodsaving.world #introductions
    • email addresses in question are (possibly):
      • *@foodsaving.world
      • foodsaving@yunity.org
      • international-foodsharing@foodsharing.network (maybe? also harder to setup autoresponder for…)
  • January hack/meet-time? When? (nick)
    • tilmann/janina - whole of january,
    • sandro - 3rd week of january
    • bruno - talk to partner… bring franz or not? quite flexible, worst case a friday->monday block
    • nick - 3rd or 4th week
    • Kanthaus has a building week from 12th to 19th, might be a bit busier then: https://kanthaus.online/en/events/2020-01-12_wuppweek
    • maybe 18th - 26th (with last weekend as “main” weekend if only arriving there)
  • somewhere to use nice icons? https://foodsharing-staedte.org/de/ideenkatalog (nick)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2019-12-23 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2019-12-23 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Bruno, Tilmann, Janina, Mika

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • continue with responsive images, otherwise look into history filters again (Tilmann)

3. Discussion

  • Hackweek?
    • 18th to 26th of January
  • Do we need/want to keep Github?
    • https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1043
    • Do we need to switch? This touches the big topic of ‘what to do make the world a better place?’… Our mission is not to avoid every dubious product or company, but to build software and promote sharing.
    • [Tilmann] Maybe we should write down in the Karrot readme the tradeoffs we are choosing, e.g. using proprietary, centralized platforms
    • [Bruno] It could also be in the “about” section on the website

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-01-06 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2020-01-06 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Sandro, Tilmann, Janina, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • Programming and refactoring karmantra, module generation about to work so far (Sandro)
  • Try to improve frontend bundle splitting (Tilmann)
  • Worked on performance improvements using a single endpoint for data bootstrapping (Tilmann)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • Finishing first approach and starting to include tests and modification options into karmantra (Sandro)
  • Publish draft Pull Request for data bootstrapping endpoint (Tilmann)
  • Write some issues (check notes) (Bruno)
  • Write an invitation text for the hackweek (Bruno)

3. Discussion

  • hackweek
    • Tilmann: maybe invite for a bit more open/social gathering on the last weekend (25/26th)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-01-13 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Janina

Date: 2020-01-13 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Janina, Tilmann
Participants: Janina, Nick, Tilmann, Sandro, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • backend dependency upgrades (i.e. Django 3) (Tilmann)
  • worked a bit more on a bootstrapping endpoint to improve frontend performance, but looking for a way to have less code duplication in backend (Tilmann)
  • Finalized basic CLI for karmantra so far (Sandro)
  • offer follow up points (pagination, removing accepted) (nick)
  • thought about GPX export (nick)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • finalize importable karmantra module for testing in hackweek (Sandro)
  • fix <img src="[object Module]"> bug and deploy (Tilmann)
  • Ask on the forum thread about offer: do they want to add “wants/needs”? something else (Bruno)
  • ask others in slack e.g. Danny about attending the at the weekend (Nick)
  • write up GPX export as a PR (Nick)

3. Discussion

  • How to translater “Offers” into German?
    • Angebote
    • Umsonstladen
    • Kleinanzeigen
    • Teilen
    • Needs/Wants
      => ask people how (don’t) use it, translate it anyhow or leave it
  • What do we want to focus on the hackweek(end)?
    • make it easier to understand Karrot for new users/random visitors
    • frontend architecture talks (related to performance, testing, developer-happiness)
    • usability / navigation improvements
    • notification settings
    • get more into karrot code generally (Sandro)

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-01-20 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Nick

Date: 2020-01-20 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Nick, Tilmann, Sandro, Janina, Bruno

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • GPX export of map markers (Nick)
  • deployed new version (Tilmann)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • hackweek and Karrot weekend!

3. Discussion

  • Daniel and others from Luxembourg are interested in a call on Sunday. What time? (morning and afternoon works for them). Content?
    • 2 pm.
  • Should we have a few meetings focused on certain themes (discussed on the previous call)? Which?

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-02-03 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2020-02-03 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Nick, Bruno, Sandro, Tilmann, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • Include difflib to keep devs code when it comes to role changes through karmantra (sandro)

3. Discussion

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-02-10 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Nick

(From last week)

Date: 2020-02-10 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Sandro, Nick, Bruno, Tilmann, Janina

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • Refactoring, refactoring, refactoring for karmantra (Sandro)
  • Switch community.foodsaving.world email sending from Mailgun to Postal (Tilmann)
  • wrote post on community forum (Nick)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

3. Discussion

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-02-17 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Janina

Date: 2020-02-17 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Janina
Participants: Sandro, Tilmann, Janina, Bruno, Nick

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

  • Tried adding Bruno to team page (Janina)
  • Implementing rudimentary tests for karmantra (Sandro)
  • Learning the frontend and moving/hiding some buttons (Bruno)
  • Talked about the about-page (Bruno, Nick) https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/pull/1971
  • karrot features doc, see dicussion (nick)
  • got new mic (nick)

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

  • Get feedback from Robin on what is missing for karmantra and trying not to become stressed (Sandro)
  • Add Bruno to team page (Janina)
  • Continue learning frontend (Bruno)

3. Discussion

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-02-24 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Date: 2020-02-24 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Janina, Tilmann

1. Last week review

write down some words or a paragraph about stuff you did related to the project

2. Up this week

write down what you want to do for the project in the next days

3. Discussion

4. Next

Next meeting: 2020-03-04 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Nick

Date: 2020-03-04 12:30 (UTC+1)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Sandro, Bruno, Nick, Tilmann, Janina

1. Agenda

  • check in round
  • new landing page content https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/pull/1998 (nick)
  • quizzing bruno about the conflict resolution Conflict resolution with possibility to remove user from group (nick)
    • conflict resolution feature worked to get user removed, some comments in the chat, but not many
    • tricky balance between “traditional” groups that might not be into our democratic ideas
    • are we pushing this democratic agenda or not?
    • can still somehow support other groups that do their processes offline
  • karmantra version freeze and starting to write thesis (sandro)
    • focusing on getting thesis done
    • more code comments would probably add stress right now!
  • did a PR, work in progress https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/pull/1987 (bruno)
    • some niggles with mobile
    • question whether to merge it early, then refine before production
  • was in contact with foodsavers from Moscow, Lund, Belgium, Granada (Janina)
    • nick offered to write emails if Janina asks him to, otherwise assumes it’s taken care of

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • get more sleep (bruno)
  • pr 1998, don’t make general mechanism, continue with work (redirects, etc…) (nick)
  • pr 1998 content review… nick will ask when ready
  • mobile conditional case not working for map button, bruno try and investigate
  • go through review of PR 1987 and fix things (Bruno)

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-03-11 12:30 (UTC+1)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Date: 2020-03-29 10:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Janina, Tilmann, Sandro, Nick

1. Agenda

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • screenshot from Offers (Bruno)
  • review text on landing page (Janina)
  • write email to Foodsharing Östersund (Tilmann)
  • fix page on foodsaving.world (Tilmann)

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-04-05 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Nick

Date: 2020-04-05 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Nick, Bruno, Tilmann, Bubli

1. Agenda

  • plant saving
  • duplicated conversation participate from sentry error
  • started working on the change group thing (Bruno)
  • some chat about https://fairteilen.eu and stuff

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • make sure there is only one conversation participant per conversation and user (Tilmann)
  • merge backend locale and check why CI throws an error (Tilmann)
  • try a co-working session on Tuesday with mumble (https://wiki.ecotopiabiketour.net/Mumble_setup)
    • bruno has available from 09:00->14:00
    • nick thinks maybe 10 or 11 might be good

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-04-12 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2020-04-12 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Nick, Tilmann, Bruno

1. Agenda

  • check in
  • talk about Karrot on uberspace
  • trustroots online Hackweek
  • chat about yunity, Kanthaus and what became of original goals
  • https://disco.coop/manifesto/
  • foodsharing development, its challenges and potential

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • none

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-04-19 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Date: 2020-04-19 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Tilmann, Janina, Nick

1. Agenda

  • Talk about conflicts in Foodsharing and other groups, how it works or doesn’t, the role of software and report features.
  • Have another Karrot hackweek - soon or later in the year?
  • Landing page
  • Rocket chat

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • merge landing page (Nick)
  • merge and deploy translation updates (Tilmann)

Date: 2020-04-26 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Bruno, Janina, Tilmann

1. Agenda

  • conflict resolution feedback! Conflict resolution with possibility to remove user from group
  • rocket chat
    • let’s test more and delay the decision until next week
  • foodsaving webinar
  • foodsharing festival
    • hard to know if/how it’ll happen this year
    • no international meetup
  • incoming emails in the forum
    • looks promising, more testing needed

2. Actions/Outcomes

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-05-03 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2020-05-03 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: Nick, Tais, Bruno, Sandro, Valentin

1. Agenda

  • checkins
  • updates from DLC (Taïs)
    • Legal entity & administrative burden
    • They are finishing the testing phase (one month) and decide based on consensus. Unlikely that they’re going to Karrot, because of some inertia, very used to the tools they used before. They were interested mainly on the conflict resolution.
    • Taïs saw a lot of confusion about how Karrot works when they used it. Necessity of a tutorial video, make it easy to learn. Taïs could do one in French. (Valentin plans one in english or maybe English and German)
    • Push notifications for pickup reminders were wished. https://github.com/yunity/karrot-frontend/issues/1027
    • Nick’s idea: try to find people who might be connected to the group somehow and motivated to do the changes they want (also who knows French. Language is a barrier)
  • admin stuff (Nick)
    • streamline hosting (add for hosters)
    • complexity inside docker is overwhelming (Nick)
    • Wouldnt it be useful to adapt and modularize the ansible setup (yuca) so it can be used by other hosters/usecases? (Valentin)
      • nick: ah, I missed this point in the meeting, yes for sure! although it’s hard to do in the abstract, better when someone actively wants to use it, although I also found it very hard problem on how to write genuinely reusable ansible roles… they end up being tailored to a particular ansible ecosystem
    • find resources (hosters that want to donate?)
  • update roadmap (bruno)
    • a lot of outdated things and things we’ve already achieved
  • finished (maybe?)
    • PR on sidenav (Bruno)
    • set default group theme by local_settings/settings.py (valentin)
      • I think I got enough feedback from tilmann (Valentin) but need a last review
    • landing page (Nick)
      • is ready to merge :slight_smile: was only delayed to get some translations through to production
  • conflict resolution feedback (Nick)
  • communications (bundle it?)
    • rocket.chat (Nick): evaluation postponed from last week to this week
      • https://chat.foodsaving.world/
      • annoying push notifications, not as sleek as slack - but overall favourable to switch (Nick)
      • Bruno favourable to switch
      • should decide later with Tilman and Janina (check consent per message this week)
    • telegram
  • plantsharing (Valentin)
    • I recognized that plantsharing could basicly fork the grav instance karrot-world
    • nick: feel free to fork it :slight_smile: - you might have the same confusion as us about project info site vs the app, etc…
  • group types
    • postponed till next week

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • Taïs is willing to help DLC and getting feedback
  • Make roadpmap update as a main topic for next week, maybe setup an extra call. Also considering to ask the community which features they want if we have the capacity
  • Nick will review/comment/merge Bruno’s PR
  • Landing page ready to merge
  • Nick can look through Valentin’s set default group thing, also maybe tilmann will again
  • Bruno will check again the feedback on conflict resolution and turn them into Github issues
  • Talk more on the next call to Valentin and group types when mic is working

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-05-10 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno

Date: 2020-05-10 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Bruno
Participants: Bruno, Nick, Taïs, Tilmann, Janina

1. Agenda

  • checkins
  • switch to rocket chat (Nick)
    • matrix is now e2e encrypted by default! … but maybe a bit overwhelming
    • remaining things
      • importing history?
      • github notifications
        • doesn’t seem to have all the useful stuff
  • community forum email setup (Nick)
    • foodsaving@yunity.org / info@foodsaving.world / karrot@foodsaving.world are now going to foodsaving-mails group
    • will receive spam
    • need to adapt to new workflow
      • push notifications…
  • screencast / tutorial
    • several ideas:
      • 2 videos: one for introduction, one in-depth
      • different short screencasts for different main features, maybe max 2 minutes each. and one getting-started screencast
    • Is it a tutorial for people who already joined or something for the landing page?
    • not make it too specific because things change, but focus on general description of features / overview
  • group types (Valentin)
  • generalization/customization of instances (Valentin)
  • update roadmap
    • nick: meta/ what approach do we want to take? maybe there are three aspects:
      • visionary (define vision completely?) and
      • “organizational care work” (lot of work 2-3h) and
      • the next (specific) tasks
    • nick: input from our users/communities/groups
    • tilmann: go through all issues and determine if they are relevant (bruno)
    • bruno: should we ask for new input/feedback on the community forum?
    • bruno: personal motivations/interests for the next steps/tasks, write them down, have a discussion about them
    • issue handling:
      • janina: is there a need to go through the existing ideas/are they still relevant (will be worked on in like the next three months)?
      • nick: implement auto-close bot for karrot’s stale issues (issues have to be actively kept open).
        however, issues might be related, have been opened by tilmann for other people
    • bruno: theory informing development
    • nick: move discussion to discourse because non-techy people are scared of GitHub

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • We’ll fully adopt Rocket Chat
    • change references: on foodsaving.world, Github, Karrot itself (anywhere else?)
    • Check if we can fix import history from Slack. Nick will check if Github notifications on RC can be improved
  • E-mail setup
    • accounts@foodsaving.world and *@foodsaving.world will go into foodsaving-accounts group
    • Update email address + point to forum at foodsharing page (Janina)
    • configure spam filter on postal?
  • Start writing a script for a screencast and make them available for future translations. Focus on the tutorial part for now (having in mind DLC as a use case), rather than an overview and presentation for the landing page (Taïs? Bruno)
  • Further discussion about generalization/customization of instances in a rocket chat discussion (Valentin)
  • Further discussion about roadmap in a rocket chat discussion (Bruno)

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-05-17 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2020-05-17 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Nick, Tilmann, Janina, Valentin, Bruno

1. Agenda

  • checkins
  • screencast
    • how to separate the different parts?
    • who is the target audience: people who start a group? people who just stumble onto the page? people who want to join a group?
    • what’s needed from the software side to make nice screencasts?
      -> more thoughts are needed, Bruno and Tais will make time for this this week and potentially have another call
  • roadmap
    • github actions marked a lot of stuff as stale
      • triggered some people to comment on them
    • some issues will be closed soon, but maybe that’s fine - we can still look at them while they are closed
    • focus could be on public locations or extending conflict resolution
    • 3-month period seems nice, to discuss the bigger topics once in a while
    • could be helpful to define the phase the project is in for the next 3 months: maintaining or expanding
    • possible structure for call:
      • retrospective of last period
      • collect list of bigger topics
      • go through topics, somehow timeboxed
  • conflict resolution for everyone, not just editors?
    • apparently groups let only sufficiently trusted people into the group, and trust karrots are less used, so it seems ok to allow access to conflict resolution for everyone
  • deploy soon?

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • Have a call to discuss screencast (maybe Wednesday)
  • All: Roadmap call next Sunday
  • Include everyone in conflict resolution processes (create issue)
  • Nick: Always send logged in users to group gallery if nowhere else to go (create issue and implement)

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-05-24 11:00 (UTC+2) - roadmap meeting
Next facilitator: Nick

Date: 2020-05-24 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Nick
Participants: nick, bruno, tilmann, janina, taïs, felix (silent)

1. Agenda

  • checkins
  • mostly roadmap, a different post will be made about that
  • contact info on foodsharing.de has been updated! [Janina]
  • nick and karrot got mentioned on a radio feature! and our landing page got love from Matthias :slight_smile:

2. Actions/Outcomes

  • release with updated translations and ongoing pickups being visible [Tilmann]
  • push “topbar group switcher” + create PR [Bruno]
  • fix some German translation on landing page, show Larissa how it can be done [Tilmann]
  • first tutorial video should be ready! [Taïs/Bruno]
  • Nick will put the roadmap text into a nice forum post
  • Design sprint workshop next Friday [Nick]

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-05-31 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Tilmann

Date: 2020-05-31 11:00 (UTC+2)
Facilitator: Tilmann
Participants: Tilmann, Bruno, Valentin (later, no mic)

1. Agenda

2. Actions/Outcomes

3. Next

Next meeting: 2020-06-07 11:00 (UTC+2)
Next facilitator: Bruno
Where: https://meet.jit.si/karrot

1 Like